• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Please HELP I need knowledgable opinions

Reaction score
I (with help from a friend & Professional) was just about to wrap up a 2.25 year complete restoration. The last thing was an AC switch, and cleaning up the steering wheel. The car is a numbers matching 340 Factory air, automatic 73 CUDA clone w matching numbers, upgraded cam, ceramic headers, stall converter, modern AC, Re padded dash with underside painted to match, completely restored but a sprinkling of after market stuff+ .

Here is the situation A BUILDING collapsed on top of it (I found out about it on Friday the 13) I am not kidding. 20150313_125040.jpg It was in a very old warehouse where the final touches were being completed. The current wisdom is that it will be totaled by Haggerty (Not definite). If totaled and IF I buy it back from the insurance company and IF I re do the car - I imagine the title will have TOTALED on it. In a modern car most people would avoid a car with a totaled title "like the plague" And the value would never be the same. BUT IS THIS TRUE WITH A COLLECTOR CAR??? How bad would this affect the value if the car was completely re done again. Basically rotisserie restored. Before the roof caved in I would ESTIMATE its value at $25K TO $35K..... but after? This is my primary question to you all. The following option below is curiosity.

Other options are to take the money and start shopping for another CUDA. If I could find a car in like condition. Dream would be to upgrade to a 71, or 70. Obviously, it would not be in the budget (<40k) to be a high end configuration HEMI, Six Pack, 440 etc. But a Clone, or low end resto-mod, not all original or matching numbers but finished.

20150313_125040.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
Well, A 1973 Cloned Cuda is probably one of the least collectable of the E-bodies. I would imagine that you and Haggerty had to agree upon a value to insure it. I would not worry much about the value with a salvage title as normally a car that was "restored" probably has had more parts replaced than any "salavaged " car. There are a lot of the older cars on the road that don't even have an original title. The value of the car of this type unfortunately is probably worth less than you spent for the restoration. Unless you have sentimental reasons for wanting to repair this car and the value doesn't matter, you would be better off putting the money into a savings account and look for something that is closer to what you really want and spend the extra you might need on it. Sadly unless it is a low production, high performance 1970-71 it will not ever have the value of the older cars.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
What a shame, the car looks like it was a real stunner but that's some tuff damage.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It is a shame it happened. The car is not hard to fix. You don't want a salvage title on any vehicle. It kills the value. Get as much as you can out of Haggerty's without them totalling it and fix it or sell the car as it is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I never thought of trying to settle for as much $ short of totaling it.. I will definitely try. I think if the repairs reaches 70% they have to total it. So maybe I'll ask to settle for 69.99% of the insured value, leaving some money on the table if they will agree not to total it. If the cash loss keeps the title clean and the repairs are done right - the hope would be the cash loss would be more than made up on the back end.

It is a shame it happened. The car is not hard to fix. You don't want a salvage title on any vehicle. It kills the value. Get as much as you can out of Haggerty's without them totalling it and fix it or sell the car as it is.

Bill

Reaction score
Bare in mind I'm a novice but from what I can see I would "fix it".
Where was this building that fell down and who owned the building that collapsed on your car?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You really don't have to try. It is your car. They have a legal obligation to settle the claim. Be a gentleman and let them know you want to settle and not total the car. I deal with insurance companies like this many times for customers of our shop. It seems like the insurance companies third offer is the best. We have some people get in the adjusters face over the claim and it only hurts them. It is a process. You just have to be firm and patient.

js29

Reaction score
i have work with damage apprasers that were sent by haggerty before, and was told that haggerty insurance dose not like to total cars out. that they will pay 100% of agreed valued price, i have seen and fixed worse from roofs that have come down

Reaction score
Damage options

i have work with damage apprasers that were sent by haggerty before, and was told that haggerty insurance dose not like to total cars out. that they will pay 100% of agreed valued price, i have seen and fixed worse from roofs that have come down

Are saying that they will sometimes pay 100% of the agreed value and NOT total the car?

Some may be right that its not a total. however, there is mush more damage that this one picture shows. Every panel got some damage, inc the tail panel, frame, dash etc. I'm fine with having it fixed, I will hopefully know in a week, on what the appraiser comes up with. I know its fixable, it was a rust bucket when we started, and was totally torn down.

thanks everyone for your help.

Reaction score
it was in Tampa Fl, Someone else owned the building and there was no insurance.

Bare in mind I'm a novice but from what I can see I would "fix it".
Where was this building that fell down and who owned the building that collapsed on your car?

js29

Reaction score
yes i am saying that they have payed 100% and not totaled a car! as far as the building insurance goes they don't cover any motor vehicles that you have to register and there for insure. that has been the case here in new york state every time i have delt with clams rep's

Reaction score
It sure won't hurt to ask. THANKS

yes i am saying that they have payed 100% and not totaled a car! as far as the building insurance goes they don't cover any motor vehicles that you have to register and there for insure. that has been the case here in new york state every time i have delt with clams rep's

mmissile

Reaction score
You really don't have to try. It is your car. They have a legal obligation to settle the claim. Be a gentleman and let them know you want to settle and not total the car. I deal with insurance companies like this many times for customers of our shop. It seems like the insurance companies third offer is the best. We have some people get in the adjusters face over the claim and it only hurts them. It is a process. You just have to be firm and patient.

I had a friend who went thru a claim kinda like this with an un-named company. They wouldn't pay what they should/needed to....so he wouldn't settle. He had plenty of other vehicles, and waited. After a long period of time, they were begging him to settle. It cost them money to keep open claims.

Back