• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Power Steering Fluid Question

tgobs

Reaction score
Hey guys.....need to add some power steering fluid and was wondering if there is a particular brand/weight to use? I have a 73 Cuda with a 383.

Thanks.

tgobs

Reaction score
I don't think so. First time out this year with the car, checking the fluids and steering was low.

moparleo

Reaction score
Well, power steering fluid does not evaporate and should never need topping off. How old is the power steering pump and steering box ? If they are more than a few years old it might do them good to flush out the old fluid. A simple process and inexpensive. Only takes a few pints of new fluid. If this car is used only a few times a year, a good p/s additive would be the Lucas p/s conditioner. One of the few additives that really works.

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
My original, vintage, P/S pressure hose would slowly sweat some fluid. After a short run the hose was always wet on the outside. No leaks anywhere, but no more problem after installing a new line. With a used or dirty engine it would be very hard to see.

js29

Reaction score
back in those days we always used type f-a transmission fluid or ford trans fluid. now days we have power steering fluid. in fact if you buy any rebuilt parts they tell you to use the clear fluid for warranty.

aussiemark

Reaction score
The difference between power steering fluid and auto transmission fluid is power steering fluid has a flame retardant that helps prevent a fire if a hose fails but you can use ATF for top up or even refill, power steering fluid is just safer if a hose bursts and sprays a hot engine.

Back