• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Problems with AMD firewall install

moparmike1974

Reaction score
Im not sure what you mean by front inner guards. Please explain.

I had the firewall before installing the floor. I did a test fit of the firewall before removing the original floor and this problem was there. After installing the new floor there was no change. The new floor dropped in and fit exactly where it should.
Had I installed the firewall first then brought the floor up to match it would not have been in the correct location and there would be a gap where the firewall meets the rocker end caps.
The firewall end panels have multiple curves in them. The firewall matches these curves well and really cant be shifted up or down. Low frame rails would explain the floor not mating to the firewall but it should still mate up to the flanges on the rocker panel end caps.
I actually have a firewall section from a challenger sitting outside for reference.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Inner fenders in the engine bay.
Have you tried clamping at the bottom then moving to the top there in quite a bit on spring in the firewall

AUSTA

Reaction score
Do you have a pic from underneath where the floor sits on the front frame rail supports

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Here is one that was changed out. measure twice cut once. Has there been any work prior to the A pillars that you can detect? Measure twice cut once. If it doesn't measure right I would contact AMD.

Attachments

• 20170123_6116.JPG
    20170123_6116.JPG
    552 KB · Views: 140

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I would consider moving the front part of the A pillar before cutting the a new floor or firewall. Or just the bottom of A pillar panel. less cutting and welding. Others may think the same or different. I believe less compromising of structure. have to consider what else is moving back and would it matter. ( steering coulomb,throttle cable, heater,wipers).Don't see it mattering much.Get bottom flange close enough to clamp and weld. If you show AMD it is in the firewall they might send you the A pillar parts. Just a thought to be considered. REMEMBER you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Last edited:

70_CONVERT

Reaction score
I installed an AMD firewall, it fit very well and only needed a little massage by the windshield corners.
Can you measure the old one and compare it to the new one?
Hi Adam ,how much massaging was required ?
just a trim so the firewall sits down flat onto the windscreen pillar ? Mine seems to be high and needs to be trimmed

Attachments

• 20220530_165838.jpg
    20220530_165838.jpg
    947.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 20220530_165944.jpg
    20220530_165944.jpg
    738.9 KB · Views: 164

Adam

Reaction score
Hi Adam ,how much massaging was required ?
just a trim so the firewall sits down flat onto the windscreen pillar ? Mine seems to be high and needs to be trimmed
57839D8D-236E-4474-98CB-9BE8F4E23EC8.jpeg

Just a little flattening where the diagonal portion transitions to the A-pillar area.

Here is my old photo album, look at pics 17 thru 29. Warning, too many pics😆

Last edited:

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
Did you figure out the problem? I too am replacing firewall, upper cowl and front floor pan on my 73 Cuda. I just tried to clamp the firewall back in place without removing old floor. Very difficult to get to align up. I had a 1/2" gap at bottom. I clamped, hammered everything all afternoon and got close with about maybe 1/4 to 3/8" to go. I'm thinking, if I cut floor out and weld as in as one unit to body, maybe it will work with 1/8" and there and much more messaging I can get. but would like to hear your solution

moparmike1974

Reaction score
Sounds like you have the same situation going on. The closest I could get it to the floor seam was 1/4" It was an even gap all the way across. I ended up welding in a strip to make up the difference.

Attachments

• 20220614_164646.jpg
    20220614_164646.jpg
    793 KB · Views: 143
  • Firewall.jpg
    Firewall.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 129

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I haven't got to where I start welding in yet. I, got to cut front half of floor boards out first, then weld up. I'll let you know how it goes.

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
Sounds like you have the same situation going on. The closest I could get it to the floor seam was 1/4" It was an even gap all the way across. I ended up welding in a strip to make up the difference.
Moparmike1974: We had a conversation about your AMD firewall. I got my firewall and Cowl in the 73 Cuda. With a huge amount on "messaging". Do you have measurements for the inner fenders to weld to firewall and cowl? Measurements from side to side and corner to corner of cowl? Any tips? I attached a few pictures to help. Thanks, 1973CudaKJH

cowl1.jpeg.JPG

cowl2.jepg.JPG

moparmike1974

Reaction score
I will see if I can get some measurements this weekend. Question, did you remove any of the following: frame rails, inner fenders, radiator support, shock tower supports?

70_CONVERT

Reaction score
i am doing this all now as well . the cowl and firewall needs a bit of work up in the top corners for sure . the firewall and floor seem needed a bit of work as well . as you end up with a bit of a gap once cowl is on , hood hinge face to face measurment and cowl to rad support measurment would be good to know . looks like i need to trim around heater hoses etc as well

20221203_090140.jpg

20221203_090152.jpg

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
No, fortunately just had to just cut of from inner fender as pictured to change out firewall and cowl. I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't take measurements when I cut off. Normally, I'm a detail person. Thanks so much for your help. KJH

budascuda

Reaction score
As moparleo said earlier, has anybody contacted AMD?
People have to let them know, so they can push back when the manufacturer in Taiwan gets sloppy.!

Rayzor

Reaction score
Looks like it could be a bit in the floor & some in the firewall the 1 i fiited had a gap so i pulled it together with self tappers then welded the hole over when finished dont know if this is any help original after blasting & another where i just changed the top cowl
Looks like it could be a bit in the floor & some in the firewall the 1 i fiited had a gap so i pulled it together with self tappers then welded the hole over when finished dont know if this is any help original after blasting & another where i just changed the top cowl
Just would like some info. on how you duplicated the factory spot welds on the cowl panel to firewall panel. Looks amazing!

Back