• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rallye Gauges Oil pressure sending unit

oneof52

Reaction score
Hello,

Need a little help. Recently I had my Rallye gauges rebuilt. Started the car, the oil pressure gauge pegged H and even after I removed the wire, stayed there.

After a while it dropped down below L and has not moved. Diagnosis shows that there is 4.96VC at the wire and while the car is running I see 41 Ohms from the tip of the sending unit.

My guess is that when the gauge pegged, it broke the pointer and dropped. Here is what I have installed;

Melling M63 oil pump, Standard Motor Oil Pressure Gauge Sending Unit.

Q1 - What should the sending unit resistance be while - Off/Idle/Just Started

Q2 - Any suggestions to replacing the sending unit if its not a correct one? Or something that is proven to work?

Katfish

Reaction score
There's always 5V on 1 side of the gauge, the sending unit provides a variable path to ground. Sounds like the wire to the sending unit might be shorted to ground.

Edit: Reread your post, 41 ohms sound right. All gauges, like fuel basically operate around 10-73 ohms.

oneof52

Reaction score
Not sure if wire is shorted to ground. I measure 4.96vdc at the wire . I think the needle is broken. The needle is well below L

IMG_0129.jpeg

IMG_0130.jpeg

IMG_0131.jpeg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Check the sending unit also. the sending unit need a little sealer on the treads. But it completes the circuit through the threads.

oneof52

Reaction score
So here is another piece I just received..... the person who installed the cluster told me he connect the 5 vdc output to the opposite post. Would that cause the needle to peg the other way? - It was a freshly rebuilt gauge

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
Use a mutlimeter to check for continuity between the two posts coming out of the back of the gauge. If you have no continuity, then the wire inside the gauge is broken or fried and you will have to replace the internals of the gauge.

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
So here is another piece I just received..... the person who installed the cluster told me he connect the 5 vdc output to the opposite post. Would that cause the needle to peg the other way? - It was a freshly rebuilt gauge
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there is any difference which direction the current runs through these gauges.

Back