• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear leaf spring help

MyR/T

Reaction score
I bought big block leaf springs for my 70 Challenger and it makes my car set too high. Looking for options on how to drop it 2 to 3 inches. Right now it has 275/60/15 on the back and it measures 29 1/2 inches from the ground to the center of the wheel well opening and 12 inches from the ground to the rocker in the center of the door. Is removing a leaf or two an option? If so which ones? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

20221119_144404.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I would sell the springs & buy a set from Espo or buy the Mopar performance springs but I have found the MP springs sit too low .
Not sure who made the spring you have now , another factor is there is now weight inthe car & new springs often sag over time .

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Installing the front leafspring hanger upside down would bring the leafspring eye bolt hole closer to the body. This would lower the rear roughly (maybe) 1.5 inchs. However this will screw up your pinion angle which you would have to correct. On mine I had to add a 5° shim to correct the angle

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I am also not a fan of the 275 60 tires , never look right , I get that you want the width of a 275 tire but it is too tall & looks wrong on E bodies

Old Mopar

Reaction score
Wrong tire size for the car both front and rear.
Try something 26 inches tall and 10 inches wide
Factory front spring hanger bolt pattern is offset to allow only 1 way to install...
There is something wrong if the pinion angle needs adjustment when the after market lowering hanger is used.
Springs can be de-arched
26 inches not 29.5

MyR/T

Reaction score
I am also not a fan of the 275 60 tires , never look right , I get that you want the width of a 275 tire but it is too tall & looks wrong on E bodies
The tires are mismatched and came with the car. They also have the wrong backspacing. My main concern was the shocks were maxed out when I installed them and I didn't like the 2 inch gap between the tire and the wheel well.

Steve340

Reaction score
If you are basing this on the pic posted I would wait.
There is a lot of weight of glass, fuel, seats etc to go in yet.
When all that weight goes in it will settle a lot lower.

rklein71

Reaction score
I bought hemi leaf springs from ESPO with a one inch drop. Picture for reference. I think my tires are 255/60/15.
1672096914310.png

MyR/T

Reaction score
I'll just wait for now and see how it looks once I get the car back together and the new wheels on it. Then I will decide what to do from there. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Back