• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear shock help please !!

dentwizgen

Reaction score
:confused: Hey fellas,
I have a 70 RT 440 6 pack car that I just bought. It has air shocks on the rear and very very bouncy. I am looking for the right rear shock set up that still can give me a small raked look and smoother ride. Anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks a bunch!

bouncy ride !

burntorange70

Reaction score
Air shocks are the only kind of shock that can change your ride hite and it is not a very good way to do it. What you need is a spring that will give the ride hite you want then run a set of gas shocks.

Brads70

Reaction score
Air shocks are the only kind of shock that can change your ride hite and it is not a very good way to do it. What you need is a spring that will give the ride hite you want then run a set of gas shocks.

I agree! I went with ESPO rear springs arched + 1 1/2" so I get the rake I wanted

burdar

Reaction score
They make a shock with a helper spring around it but that isn't any better than the air shocks. You need to get the hight you want with a spring...just like what was said above. You can buy new springs or just add an extra leaf to your existing springs to save money. When I was getting my Challenger on the road after storage in the mid 90's, I added a leaf to get the back end back up. It will work just fine until you're ready for new springs.

Make sure to check the shock X-member when you swap out the shocks. Air shocks have a tendancy to break the X-member away from the frame. Make sure yours is still attached.

dentwizgen

Reaction score
Thank you fellas for the help.

I will see how much it cost to add a leaf. There is six right now on the right side.
What brand of shcoks should I add? I heard KYB are a pretty good brand.

burntorange70

Reaction score
KYB's should be just fine. I just got a set of Ebelbrock IAS shocks for the rear of my Dart. Have not put them on yet though.

Back