• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Shaker base plate build

malkavellian

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my work with the shaker base plate I made for twin edelbrock carburetors.
I had one from Year One but this was for the Carter carb setup.
In addition to this I had to make clearance for the fuel couplings (the bulge at the rear carb that stole a bit of the filter space area), slant it a bit to level up the bubble while still keep throttle link and hood clearance.
Even made a mould of the prototype too.
If some of you out there need some custom fibregalss work on something similar, give me a shout. Maybe I can help.

Motor 3.jpg

Shaker 2.jpg

Shaker 3.jpg

Shaker 4.jpg

Shaker 6.jpg

Shaker 7.jpg

Shaker 8.jpg

Shaker 9.jpg

Shaker 10.jpg

Shaker 12.jpg

Last edited:

malkavellian

Reaction score
Good point Brads. Havent tested it on open road yet, so I'm a little worried myself

Last edited:

malkavellian

Reaction score
I have a suspicion there's going to be an issue with the carb air door, so I'll probably drop it. As for air needed, I'm curious; the previous engine was a Ray Barton 426 with an custom Indy intake. The base plate was cut and rewelded to fit with the higher intake. The result; no room for filter or lid. This engine ran fine.

malkavellian

Reaction score
Bigshclunk: Cool. Did you make yours out of fibreglass ? Any issues with the fibreglass cracking up? (I have reinforced the areas around the carbs just in case.)

Finished the product today. Pic of the mould, cut product and prototype.

CIMG0597.jpg

Last edited:

BIGSHCLUNK

Reaction score
Steel... and it a project thats not done to this day. Took a few 4bbl air claener bases from things around the shop. cut/weld cut/weld cut/weld used a ball bearing from a CV shaft to make dimples for the holley float adjustment screws. Kind of a work in progress so to speak. I'm currently running a single 4 which is how it started in the first place. I'm not running the air door or anything, shes a nice weather machine only.

I think your setup turned out really nice!

BIGSHCLUNK

Reaction score
I got some pics some place.... cant find 'em...

Ok found a few. This is a conglomeration thats 4 sure. Toying with the idea of eventually going with some kind of EFI setup. Then the game will start all over again.

Last edited:

Brads70

Reaction score
Looks great Bigs!
Malkavellian I have a Hybrid solutions fiberglass 6 pack style base on mine with no issues cracking with the heat etc...

malkavellian

Reaction score
Brads: Good to hear. Did they make you a nice plate ?
I wasn't impressed with the one from Year One. Don't know if they make it themselves or just supply them.
Minor issues: Airbubbles in both the baseplate and the filter lid. (common mistake from inexperienced builders)
Major issues: The whole base plate was warped/curved upwards. I managed to sand the filter ring flat again, but scrapped the outer bubble plate ring and made my own.

Brads70

Reaction score
Brads: Good to hear. Did they make you a nice plate ?
I wasn't impressed with the one from Year One. Don't know if they make it themselves or just supply them.
Minor issues: Airbubbles in both the baseplate and the filter lid. (common mistake from inexperienced builders)
Major issues: The whole base plate was warped/curved upwards. I managed to sand the filter ring flat again, but scrapped the outer bubble plate ring and made my own.

It was Ok, ya it did have a slight warp to it and it needed finishing cosmetically, but they told me that before I bought it so it's all good.

Back