• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Shaker hood

Ratvon

Reaction score
I'm wanting to put a shaker hood on my 70 Challenger. Has anyone got some information on complete kits and where to buy quality parts?
Really in the dark on this set up, seems like a lot of parts.

tonysrt

Reaction score
AMD makes a Shaker hood and Stephens performance sells them and other vendors, year one Classic industries. I bought one for a71 Cuda at Carlisle this year from Stephens to save shipping.

Ratvon

Reaction score
AMD makes a Shaker hood and Stephens performance sells them and other vendors, year one Classic industries. I bought one for a71 Cuda at Carlisle this year from Stephens to save shipping.
Ya but how do fit?

Potts

Reaction score
My buddy in PA has an original stock Shaker base plate and cover off a 70 Cuda.
I am told these originals were made in Canada by Fram.
Not a reproduction. Very rare, original paint, for 4 bbl.
He would sell for $1000.
9162.jpeg
9160.jpeg

tonysrt

Reaction score
I have a 71 Cuda with Gen 2 hemi with 2 four BBls and bought the hood from Stephens and the shaker parts from tommychryco.. I haven't put the hood on yet, because I'm putting Edelbrock pro 4 F.I. setup on it. I haven't heard anything bad about AMD parts so felt safe purchasing it. My car came with hood locks so I bought the hood cut out for the locks. So much easier working on car without the hood and hitting my head on the hood hook.

Ele115

Reaction score
I'm 7 foot and I feel your pain! I feel like I have a big divet in my head from that thing.

The Steven hood is a good one. I still haven't found a source for the fiberglass bubble. I got a nice one years ago from A and A but they are gone.

tonysrt

Reaction score
Did you check with Tommychryco because I bought entire setup for Shaker hood from him. It came with the fiberglass bubble.

bossmike

Reaction score
I'm wanting to put a shaker hood on my 70 Challenger. Has anyone got some information on complete kits and where to buy quality parts?
Really in the dark on this set up, seems like a lot of parts.
I have just done this and yes Tommy the Chryco and shaker.com have great kits, AMD hood is nice but stock was limited, and don’t forget that 2 speed wipers must be converted to 3 speed that includes new linkage. Very expensive project but very cool hood.

70chall440

Reaction score
Thats the one Mopar hood I was never fond of probably bc back in the day a local guy had one and the carb back fired, lit up and burned up the bubble before he could get it off.

Ratvon

Reaction score
I have just done this and yes Tommy the Chryco and shaker.com have great kits, AMD hood is nice but stock was limited, and don’t forget that 2 speed wipers must be converted to 3 speed that includes new linkage. Very expensive project but very cool hood.
Why 3 speed because of clearance?

terrywalker

Reaction score
Yes, because of clearance of 2 speed wiper motor. Here's a side shot of my 340.
Terry W.

Shaker Side 2.jpg

Last edited:

Potts

Reaction score
Thats the one Mopar hood I was never fond of probably bc back in the day a local guy had one and the carb back fired, lit up and burned up the bubble before he could get it off.
Was the air filter saturated with fuel or starting fluid to burn like that?
An old timer always told me if I see flame, crank it again to suck it back into the combustion chamber, where it belongs. Lol

Glenngomango

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I am not trying to burst your [shaker] bubble but the shaker scoop is actually restrictive for performance .
How badly do you want the look ?

70chall440

Reaction score
Was the air filter saturated with fuel or starting fluid to burn like that?
An old timer always told me if I see flame, crank it again to suck it back into the combustion chamber, where it belongs. Lol
I am not sure but I know he was or had been working on the car and thought it was good, as I recall it coughed when he was trying to start it and he was thinking about what to do when he saw the bubble melting.

mmissile

Reaction score
I am not trying to burst your [shaker] bubble but the shaker scoop is actually restrictive for performance .
How badly do you want the look ?
True, but it was the only fresh-air hood for the S/S class guys. They were a bit "inventive", when they used them. The AAR hood didn't have enough room for those AFB's on a Rat-Roaster.

Jeff's 70 R/T

Reaction score
I did the swap last year. Went from the RT hood to shaker. I got the hood from AMD. It is NOT a bolt on fit. The trim ring did not fit at the back. I had to raise the rear reveal (I use lead) to make it fit. I have an RB running Sniper EFI, I had to modify the shaker base to lower it to fit. I bought the shaker kit from www.shakerhood.com. Very nice quality parts. Probably the best avail. Not a cheap upgrade tho! Do not buy the fiberglass junk out there. The end result is great. Looks close to factory if you ask me! I have a lot of pix if I can be of any help. Jeff
IMG_0091.jpeg

Back