• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Shaker set Up

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Don't know what i did but after fixing the gauges today the rally lights are aways on i messed something up. Wonder what would cause that

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Terry was installing the shaker cable today i. I also put a bolt and washer to hold the cable in the rear of the scoop like you did. I got it all in but when i try and move the carb air knob its real tight and doesn't move but if i got to the linkage under the hood i can move it by hand its tight but can move it. I also put a picture of where i located the carb air knob inside the car do i have it in the correct location? I was thinking if i don't it may be binding. Something isn't right Thanks Kenny

IMG_6173.JPG

IMG_6174.JPG

IMG_6175.JPG

terrywalker

Reaction score
Here's the only photo I have of the dash . It looks like your shaker cable pull handle is in the correct spot. I take it your cables operated smoothly before connected. Try loosening the screw with the flat washer on it clamping the cable in the rear of the scoop so it's not crushing/binding the cable sheath. Mine is a little stiff to operate.
Terry

Photo331 (Large).jpg

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Thanks terry i try that maybe ill see if i can get one of those plastic loops to hold it in place

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Terry when you put the cable on under the scoop did you just slide it on or is it locked in there with that clip that holds the rod on. I just have it slipped over the rod and it fell off once. Kenny

terrywalker

Reaction score
Here's a drawing. There's a 'C" clip (part R) shown holding the cable on to the bellcrank. Over the years, mine could have popped off.
Terry

Attachments

• Shaker_Hood_System.pdf
    88.7 KB · Views: 209

KennyCuda

Reaction score
So that clip goes on the rod under the shaker scoop under the larger duct in the shaker Im looking t the small cable in the shaker scoop under the large air duct

terrywalker

Reaction score
Nope. Sorry. I thought you were talking on the bellcrank on the outside. I don't have any photos of the cable hookup to the air doors inside the scoop. There is a keeper on there that keeps the cable from coming off the rod. I believe it's similar to the ones used in the door latch rods. I can't access my car now. When you look up the parts for the shaker and look at the air door rod, the keepers are shown on each end of the rod.
Terry

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Terry you answered my question so the end goes threw the keeper to keep it from moving off the rod thats what i wasn't sure of thanks

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Terry I'm trying to put in the air cleaner base braces and the one on the drivers side from the ground cable to the air cleaner base seems to be hitting the upper radiator hose did you have any issue like that Kenny

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
The shaker cable grommet is located in the left-most dimple (closest to the passenger side).
Note that some firewalls have an additional (third) dimple or spot weld that is further to the left.
The picture that terrywalker posted is correct. It even shows this third "dimple" but the cable grommet is in the same location as the photos below.

firewallpic_passenger1.jpg
shakercable grommet.jpg

Hemicuda Shaker Cable Grommet.jpg
1970 Cuda Firewall Holes Passenger Side (2).JPG

KennyCuda

Reaction score
I wish i saw these pictures a week ago someone not from here told me it was the dimple closer to the drivers side so thats what i did . Now what should i do drill another hole or just leave it dam

KennyCuda

Reaction score
the question now is leave it or drill another hole and leave the grommet in the hole thats wrong ??

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
the question now is leave it or drill another hole and leave the grommet in the hole thats wrong ??
Probably best to leave it. I do not think it is the cause of any binding. Did the cable move freely before you installed it?
Here is a source for a lot of the hole locations on E-bodies. Your cable pull handle location looks to be in the right place but here is the photo of the location. EDIT: If you are binding, consider removing the cable and spraying a lubricant into the cable sheathing from both ends and work it back and forth to free it up. New cables can take a while to break in and a little lubricant may help.
index.php

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Yes the cable moved freely its wasn't till i hooked it all up that the pull handle won't budge much so i just leave the scoop open. I can turn it open and close by hand under the hood but not with the pull handle something somewhere is binding. Your right I'm gonna leave it will look stupid with 2 holes in the firewall

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Yes the cable moved freely its wasn't till i hooked it all up that the pull handle won't budge much so i just leave the scoop open. I can turn it open and close by hand under the hood but not with the pull handle something somewhere is binding. Your right I'm gonna leave it will look stupid with 2 holes in the firewall
I would remove the upper cable from the bell crank and see if the interior pull handle moves freely. If so, re-attach the upper cable and move downstream, removing and isolating until the bind shows up. I am guessing that one of the clamps is too tight as Terry suggested on checking or the air door cable is binding. Let us know what you find.

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Ok i just went into the garage and removed the upper cable from the top bell crank and the knob in the car works fine in and out. I also grabbed the cable going into the scoop and by hand pushed and pulled the cable and i can hear the doors working so i guess my problem is when its mounted to top bell crank and screwed on with that small clip then she binds but why

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Ok i just went into the garage and removed the upper cable from the top bell crank and the knob in the car works fine in and out. I also grabbed the cable going into the scoop and by hand pushed and pulled the cable and i can hear the doors working so i guess my problem is when its mounted to top bell crank and screwed on with that small clip then she binds but why
You have it narrowed down to the bell crank pivot or the cable clamps when mounted. I am not running the air doors, bell crank, etc. for the shaker on my Cuda. I have the cable installed under the dash and use it for my carb choke. LOL.

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Yes your right it has to be how the cable is mounted and secured on the top bell crank thats the problem thanks for the help at least i know the place that the problem is ill mess with it tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help

Back