• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Source for Electrical "Barrel" Connector?

ctaarman

Reaction score
I am debugging my harness that has some non-operating lights. One of the lights not working was the glove box, even with a new bulb, while the adjoining map light was working. I wanted to check wire continuity so I tried to unplug it from the common point. Even using a set of long nose pliers and working the connector back and forth, unfortunately for me the end broke off. (Once I had the wire off the harness I did confirm the switch/light isn't the problem, it's somewhere else.)

I can't seem to find a source for the male connector on the end of the wire that I broke off. I need help sourcing it whether it is specific to Mopar or some generic connector that you experts will know of. Attached is a picture of a glove box light/switch out of a car (one for sale on ebay) that I am attaching because it shows the male "barrel" connector on the end of it that I am looking for. Just to be clear, I'm only looking for a replacement connector that I can crimp or solder on as appropriate, not the whole thing.

glove box light.jpg

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
Offhand I don't know of a source for that original connector, but I bet it wouldn't be difficult to find one in a junkyard. I'm sure practically any early - late 70s mopar would have one or several under the dash. Something like a 75 Cordoba for example.

Otherwise I would just go to your local auto parts store, I think they're known as bullet terminals and a generic one should be easy to get.

https://www.autozone.com/miscellane...m5eaH2K-4_rcoueJHMRoCf10QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

ctaarman

Reaction score
Hi EV2,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Coincidentally, I just got off the phone with RT Specialties. They didn't have it,but also recommended a generic bullet connector. Funny, when I tried to look for one at Autozone/Advanced I couldn't find it. I appreciate the link. I'll get one, solder it in, then shrink wrap it. Again, many thanks.

Adam

Reaction score
I have rewired two complete trucks and repaired many more connections over the years. I think the best way to use these generic connectors is to remove the plastic insulation, crimp AND solder the connector. Then shrink wrap it. I also recommend dielectric grease to prevent oxidation.

I also like to use self fusing silicone tape to wrap connections that might see moisture, or in cases where I forgot to slide the shrink tube over the wire before I put it together. Just make sure your fingers are clean of dielectric grease, or you might have adhesion problems.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Brand-Wrap-Fix-Self-Fusing-Silicone-Tape-1-x-10/34165233

Last edited:

ctaarman

Reaction score
Yes Adam, I agree. BTW, I discovered the benefits of conductive grease when my AAR died a couple of years ago in the middle of the highway and I found the cause to be the dreaded bulkhead connector carbonizing problem. The previous owner had installed a 100 AMP alternator, and I am lucky the current didn't cause a fire. Cleaned off all the bulkhead connector pins and put conductive grease on them. Today, whenever I redo any electrical connection in my car, I clean both sides of the connector and use the conductive grease (-oh and I went back to a stock alternator!).

Back