• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Source for vapor barrier adhesive

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
For my fellow restoration gentleman where do you get the white vapor barrier glue that holds a vapor barrier to the quarters and the doors?

All I have is the black monkey **** because that works for all the respirations I’ve done so far in the last few years, only this challenger, but I’m doing has required white.

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
Are you insane? You got to be fuckin with me, right?
Who in their right mind would use a urethane seam sealer to stick plastic to a door?

I’m sure it’s a good suggestion being white and all but this 71 was installed with some white sticky crap just like the black beetle that we all used in other model vehicles I just want to find it in white because this is a. Correct factory correct 100% Restoration with the exception of the type of paint I used with the exception of the tires and with the exception of the intake and carburetor and exhaust everything else is 100% stock as it came from the factory. .

So I got to have something white that isn’t the strongest substance known to man which is urethane sealer lol

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
I was trying to avoid that place, but I guess you’re right. I was just hoping there was something less Amazon like lol.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Look for Dum Dum , Seriously parts stores should have it or know what it is .
I also hate amazon , Bozo doesn't need my $$

Xcudame

Reaction score
I'm not going into a car door anymore than I have to. Everything is going to be in good working order and lubed when I'm done in there. Being 6'3" and having fingers the size of sausages and arms as big as a kids thigh, I hate working inside doors. And I'll seal the plastic with anything I've got including duct tape if it's all that's available. I drove my 70 Challenger as a daily driver for over 25 years. There's nothing on that car I haven't worked on, replaced or serviced. No one is going to take a door panel off in a stupid car show and look at what's holding the. plastic vapor barrier on!

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
I totally understand where you’re coming from, but every aspect of the restoration I do on all of my customers cars is photographed before and after, and sometimes during. And every car I do goes back together the way it came apart unless the customer specifies he wants it differently.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Is this what are asking about? Rope calk. found in a hardware stores. Lowes home depote and others.

quater window holes 71.png

Last edited:

mopar jack

Reaction score
I tried the rope caulk from home depot and it wouldn't hold the barrier. It's not very sticky and is similar to plumbers putty.

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
I thought he was teasing me. My apologies for sounding harsh. I was literally laughing as I said that your theme is the most adhesive substance known to man. I’ve been working with that crap for over 40 years and I hate it with all my heart lol except when gluing in windshields.

My apologies for sounding harsh in my reply

Xcudame

Reaction score
In a pinch, sometimes you have to use whatever you have handy! And since you mentioned you had the monkey putty, I figured you were considering it or wouldn't have brought it up. It would work. Just not ideal.

True story. The wife and I were driving home in my 70 Challenger on a twisty mountain road. Right front wheel bearing went out and the excessive wobble fried the brake shoes! (Switch to disk brakes soon after) Anyway I pull off the road into gravel and jack up the right front wheel. remove the tire and brake drum (with rags). Roller bearings spew all over the ground. Wife says, "Is that bad?". Laughing I heard back to the trunk and grabbed a new bearing (be prepared for anything!). The drum was so hot, it took no effort to change the bearing races inside! Only had white lithium grease! Used it! Wired the brake cylinder with baling wire so fluid wouldn't leak out. Threw the brake shoes in the trunk, installed the drum and wheel and drove almost 100 miles through twisty roads and through a major US city to get home on 3 brakes!! Of course this was a Sunday afternoon, nothing open. You have to do what you have to do sometimes!

NixDad

Reaction score
not that it really matters but the original caulk had a thread that was imbedded in it. If you want to be accurate :))) press into it a white thread.

Back