• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Starter breaking teeth off of the converter

A3404bbl

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

I have a 440 stroked to 512 in my 74 challenger mated to a 727 auto. I have had two converters have teeth broken off by the starter. I had a reputable transmission shop install everything and they say that everything was installed properly and that everything lines up correctly. The converter in question is from Hughes and was ordered through summit. They replaced the first broken converter no questions asked. This time, summit is saying Hughes has requested to inspect the converter before they replace it again. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing the teeth to be broken off the ring? The transmission shop says whole teeth are breaking off the ring, not pieces of teeth.

Thanks!

A3404bbl

Reaction score
What kind of starter are you using and does the engine ever start ?
It is a power master mini starter. The car Did start, ran and drove on city streets (no highway) for about 15 minutes, then Cutoff. When trying to restart, you could hear starter engage but spinning freely, no resistance from the converter. Had the car towed back to trans shop that installed the trans and converter. When they took off the trans inspection cover, found whole broken teeth inside.

moparleo

Reaction score
It is interesting that the engine just happened to die with the missing tooth section on the ring gear lining up with the starter section of missing teeth.
The teeth on the ring gears are typically hardened to a much higher degree than starter teeth.
This is because a starter is much lees expensive to replace than the ring gear or flywheel is when labor is factored in.
I would have the shop take pictures of the ring gear and starter teeth so you have some sort of physical record, not just somebody's word for it.
This is not a common problem and 2 times in a row generally indicated improper parts or improper installation.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Ha, I thought this only happened to me. Had a Remy starter (25215 I believe) on the car at that time.

Attachments

• TQ.jpg
    TQ.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 106

greatscot3

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

I have a 440 stroked to 512 in my 74 challenger mated to a 727 auto. I have had two converters have teeth broken off by the starter. I had a reputable transmission shop install everything and they say that everything was installed properly and that everything lines up correctly. The converter in question is from Hughes and was ordered through summit. They replaced the first broken converter no questions asked. This time, summit is saying Hughes has requested to inspect the converter before they replace it again. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing the teeth to be broken off the ring? The transmission shop says whole teeth are breaking off the ring, not pieces of teeth.

Thanks!
Hi guy

I was referred to this guy when I had some fitment problems with a 440/Tremec application. The starter I got from them worked perfectly.
Really nice, helpful people also.
You might discuss your ring gear problem with them.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have had poor results using Powermaster parts , I suggest a factory mini starter

Back