• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

TTI header clearance

Reaction score
I have a set of TTI headers on my 340 904 trans 1 7/8 headers ... I was wondering how you guys are getting your shifting linkage to clear the headers and the floorboard? Car is a floor shifted t-handle setup... I have tried that swivel nut or square nut in the lower and upper position..

Heywodja

Reaction score
TTI has some instructions on their website I recall..

Reaction score
Yeah I'm looking them over right now... I put the swivel on the top position of the z shifting bar like the instructions say... Still runs into the floor... I called TTI about it they said I shouldn't have to cut or weld anything on a small block application... Of course I'm just running standard transmission mounts and motor mounts

Xcudame

Reaction score
If the linkage is hitting the floorboard when moved on top, it's time to get out the BFH and massage the floorboard where it is hitting/rubbing. I'm assuming with a 904 behind a 340 with 1 7/8 headers, this is some kind of race car (drag).

Reaction score
Car is not a drag car a intake it to Mopar Nationals once a year ... Only time it's going to see the drag strip... The car years ago must have been undercoated ... Could be part of the problem with clearance.. it's 904 from CRT I'll try to get some photos uploaded

Xcudame

Reaction score
That's a large diameter header for a street 340. Probably given up some lower rpm torque. Undercoating can be pretty thick in places. Then dirt and grime can stick to the undercoating and be thicker yet.

Reaction score
I agree with you on the undercoating... That certainly could be a factor.. I don't think it's too much header for my application... For full disclosure it is a 340 stroked out to a 416 with fully ported hues engine heads flowing 300 CFM at 500 lift with 208 valves

Reaction score
Right lol 😅 now if I can only get the shifting linkage to fit

Katfish

Reaction score
Double check you have the correct parts.
When I put on TTI system (70 Challenger, 340), connecting from stock manifolds, it just wouldn't fit on drivers side. Spent a week on forums, trying to figure out what was wrong.
TTI finally responded after sending them the forums links with pics, and they had sent wrong head pipe, just on drivers side. Apparently there's slight variations between all the sets they sell, depending on body styles. They had sent an A body headpipe, it was close, but not close enough.

Bret Schneider

Reaction score
"I called TTI about it they said I shouldn't have to cut or weld anything on a small block application.."

That's not what their instructions say for 1-7/8" SMALL BLOCK HEADERS
"Some models will require additional modification for clearance of the shifting lever.(See diagram)The support bracket is cut through and overlapped approximately ¼” and re-welded, making it shorter and moving the shift lever away from the collector."

https://www.ttiexhaust.com/Sheets/TorqueShaftLever_sheet3703.pdf

Reaction score
Yea I might have to do that ... but when I called them they really did tell me that

Reaction score
When I put on TTI system (70 Challenger, 340), connecting from stock manifolds, it just wouldn't fit on drivers side. Spent a week on forums, trying to figure out what was wrong.
TTI finally responded after sending them the forums links with pics, and they had sent wrong head pipe, just on drivers side. Apparently there's slight variations between all the sets they sell, depending on body styles. They had sent an A body headpipe, it was close, but not close enough.

TTI340BE17835-C4 is the part on my receipt... But now you've got me wondering I wonder if they sent me an a A body driver side header.... Oddly enough the weird thing is is when they sent me the headers they sent me big block bolts so I had to have them send me small black ones...

Last edited:

Bret Schneider

Reaction score
I think the TTI A body and E Body headers are one and the same.
Katfish is talking about the headpipe that bolts to the stock ex manifold if I understood correctly.

Reaction score
Oh I see I guess I was under the impression the a body TTI headers were different part number and design... especially for the 1 7/8 headers

Reaction score
I ended up buying a new support bracket and taking the undercoating off the bottom and I've got it to clear now just to give everyone a heads up thanks a lot for the input guys

Back