• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Un-shaving Door Handles

A-A-Ron

Reaction score
Hey guys... I am a proud new owner of a 72 Challenger and the previous owner had shaved the door handles/ gas gap and removed the mirrors. First and most importantly is where would the mirrors be mounted on the door? Does anyone have the actually measurements because I need to get them on to be street legal. Next, does anyone have any experience in un-shaving door handles? It looks like they used bondo and it has started to crack where the door handles were covered. As for the gas fill, I can see inside the trunk where they tack welded the hole closed. I would love to try and get it back to factory doors and have the gas fill located outside the trunk and didn't know the best way to go about this. Thank you all very much!
Aaron

moparleo

Reaction score
You can remove the door panels and will be able to see from the inside of the door where the original mirror and door handle holes were. You have a choice of having a body shop just cut the holes back out or replace the door skins with new. Not very difficult really. Naturally you will have to repaint the doors. :thumbsup:

Adam

Reaction score
Try paint remover, it will lift the paint and some of the filler. You will need several applications if the filler is deep.

Adam

Reaction score
If you find the doors are in poor shape from the shave job up top, and rust in the bottom corners you can replace the door skins without too much trouble.

Back