• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Unidentified Engine Noise

BluRaySRT

Reaction score
Was crusing at normal speed etc. when this loud knocking noise coming from the engine started. I was able to limp home. Before I start tearing the engine apart, I thought someone might have an idea as to what this might be.

I made a short video so you can hear it. Thanks in advance for any help!

Rapidfire

Reaction score
When you pull the cover check the rocker arms and valve springs maybe one of them broke. I had that happen on my 440 and was hitting against the inside of the valve cover. Hopefully its on the topside if not you will have go deeper and that's not good.

Slug

Reaction score
Check your torque converter bolts. One could have backed out and is hitting inspection plate

BluRaySRT

Reaction score
When you pull the cover check the rocker arms and valve springs maybe one of them broke. I had that happen on my 440 and was hitting against the inside of the valve cover. Hopefully its on the topside if not you will have go deeper and that's not good.
Thanks! I'm doing that this morning. I'll take some pics and report back with what I see. I appreciate the tips! Thanks!

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
That sounds like a valve issue to me. Popping back thru the intake/carb? I'll bet you find the problem when you take the valve covers off and have a look around.

BluRaySRT

Reaction score
Ok.. so I found the problem. Pushrod slipped off the rocker. Can I just replace the push rod(s) or do I need to remove the head to inspect for any damage? Picture of damaged push rod attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1346.JPEG
    IMG_1346.JPEG
    426.8 KB · Views: 149

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Should be fine just replacing the pushrod /rods , check the adjusters carefully also , might need those replaced also .
You should probably check the lifter for damage if there is a cam problem however .

Last edited:

PlumCraZRT

Reaction score
The top of the pushrod appears to be broken off. I would spend some time to understand why that happened before throwing replacement parts at it.

I would guess that the pushrod length was incorrect or there was interference between the pushrod and the head.

blubyou340

Reaction score
Ok.. so I found the problem. Pushrod slipped off the rocker. Can I just replace the push rod(s) or do I need to remove the head to inspect for any damage? Picture of damaged push rod attached.
If you were revving hard when it happened. You can probably replace the pushrod. If it just happened cruising , possibly your lifter needs replaced or your rocker may have settled in and became loose. I have seen this happen before and in that peticular instance it was the rocker bar they didnt have it shimmed where the pushrod was centered in the hole and it rubbed and got hot and popped out he had to shim both sides replaced the pushrod and was all good. In any case look at everything good luck common sense always wins

Xcudame

Reaction score
Is the pushrod ball/ball or cup/ball? Ball/ball, I'd say there's less pieces in your engine. Cup/ball and you're looking for lots of metal. Drain the oil, remove and cut open the oil filter. That will tell you a lot. Check your lifter and that cam lobe. A standard tool in everyone's garage nowadays should be a borescope that Bluetooths to your smart phone. A decent one can be had for $70 to $80. You may just have had an adjuster loosen up. Good luck.

moparleo

Reaction score
You gave us just a peek at the topside of your engine. How about a wider shot and some more detailed info on this engine.
Obviously not stock. When you ask a question we need some context on what you are working on, otherwise everyone thinks it is stock and has stamp rockers...Can't get good advice without good info.
I see this is a year old posting.
Let us know if you found the problem and if so what it was.

Back