• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Weird things bolted to my leaf springs

bullet18

Reaction score
Anyone know what these things are? They look like segments of leaf springs but theyre clamped on behind the axle and they dont actually extend underneath the axle. When i first took the axle off i figured the leaf springs were just mangled from someone jumping the car or something like that but the bends are symmetrical so im beginning to doubt that. I looked up pictures of stock e body leaf springs and they dont have anything like these. My guess is theyre the equivalent of bondo but for leaf springs as the last person who tried to fix the car half assed the whole job.

20180402_075950.jpg

aussiemark

Reaction score
They look like helper springs for towing these days people use airbags to help keep the vehicle level while towing before they had these helper springs they are like an extra leaf that bolts on to stiffen it up air shocks were another option.

bullet18

Reaction score
They look like helper springs for towing these days people use airbags to help keep the vehicle level while towing before they had these helper springs they are like an extra leaf that bolts on to stiffen it up air shocks were another option.
Thanks! It also has air shocks (albeit wasted ones) so that would make sense. Im slowly figuring out more about the cars past as i go. It had a 318 originally so i guess it must have had a towing package because it also has an 8 3/4 instead of a 7 1/4.

henry b

Reaction score
well all the helper springs I have seen have more of a arch to them looks more like some one tried a half ass fix for a bad set of springs. bests to replace them instead of a quick fix like that.

quapman

Reaction score
I've had a few cars with those gizmos on them. I always assumed they were helpers or stiffeners. Might be an old time racer's trick to keep the rear from winding up, sort of like traction bars. Might just be snake oil.

bullet18

Reaction score
I've had a few cars with those gizmos on them. I always assumed they were helpers or stiffeners. Might be an old time racer's trick to keep the rear from winding up, sort of like traction bars. Might just be snake oil.
I also thought it could be to control axle wrap but i dont think so after finding out it has 2.76s and an open diff.

moparleo

Reaction score
Just a set of old helpers. Remove the airshocks and toss them. Inspect the upper shock mounts for damage as they were not intended to support any weight. If they are good, get a good set of modern shocks and a new set of springs or have the old ones rebuilt/reached if practical.

bullet18

Reaction score
Just a set of old helpers. Remove the airshocks and toss them. Inspect the upper shock mounts for damage as they were not intended to support any weight. If they are good, get a good set of modern shocks and a new set of springs or have the old ones rebuilt/reached if practical.
Thats pretty much my plan after i get it running but before i get it registered. I need the motivation of the car actually running because ive been working on it for 2 years now.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Air shocks were popular in the late 70's and early 80's you'd put them in and pump them up for that low front raised rear funny car look and then the extra wide tyres wouldn't scrape on the rear fenders, the car would handle real bad the rear end would kind of bounce around corners I remember them well. Eventually you would take it all off and be amazed how well the car handles with the standard parts.

David DiMartino

Reaction score

Not sure of your location but I just installed a Hotchkis TVS on my 73 Cuda and have set of MP XHD leaf springs that used to be on it. I put them on many years ago but the car was never driven since they were put on. It sat on jack stands for 18 years totally stripped. Would be willing to let them go at a reasonable price but shipping to your location may be prohibitive since they are pretty heavy.

bullet18

Reaction score
Not sure of your location but I just installed a Hotchkis TVS on my 73 Cuda and have set of MP XHD leaf springs that used to be on it. I put them on many years ago but the car was never driven since they were put on. It sat on jack stands for 18 years totally stripped. Would be willing to let them go at a reasonable price but shipping to your location may be prohibitive since they are pretty heavy.
Wow thanks for the offer. Unfortunately i think shipping will probably be pretty cost prohibitive. Do you know approximately what they weigh?

Demonic

Reaction score
I've had parts cars where the upper shock mount was broken from air shocks. Check yours carefully!

bullet18

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer but i dont think i can give you a fair price for the springs right now. Im on a really tight budget and if i buy these i wont have enough money to get it running. Im anticipating many more issues before the car will go fast enough to need new leafs.

David DiMartino

Reaction score
No problem. I can certainly relate to tight budget, that's why my car is still in production and not on the road yet. This year looks to be the year.;)

Back