• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Well, she finally arrived from Minnesota!

Restoration direction opinions please...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OP_Mopars

Reaction score
1970 Plymouth Barracuda, Slant 6 driveline with 8-1/4 rear. Runs great as-is. Black interior with split bench interior with fold down buddy seat/arm rest.

Minus the radio, she is all original needing typical rust repairs. Still, for being nearly 42 years old with original paint she's still nice.

GEDC0006.jpg

burdar

Reaction score
It all depends on what you want to do with the car once it's done. If it were me, it would stay stock. I've only ever personally seen 3 or 4 /6 E-bodies. Most people build Hemi clones out of them. A /6 car is way rarer today then a big block car.

If you are wanting a nice car to take to shows and go cruising in, keep it stock. If you are wanting something flashy and with some hp, then paint it purple and install a BB.

Before you start the restoration, take a lot of detailed pictures....not just for your own benifit but for others who want to get the details right on their cars.

Have you seen Dave Walden's Valiant? If you havn't seen it, look at the pictures of that car before you decide to toss the /6.

Ray

Reaction score
While the choice is really what you want from the car, I would leave it stock. Clean original cars are as rare as hens teeth. I personaly have a Pontiac lemans convert overhead cam 6 that is next in line to restore, and that's how it's going to be done. Best of luck however you decide.

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
Nice score! I guess I voted for the 440 thing. I had a few 6 cylinder cars, and there ok, don't get me wrong. But after a while, I just wanted more, the rumble of a v8 etc...................
But it's your car, you should do what makes you happy!
Either way you do it, it'll be cool, it's a 70 Barracuda!

ramenth

Reaction score
I voted keep it stock. Not many original slant E-bodies around anymore.

But in the end it's your car. The only person you truly have to satisfy is yourself.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Take lots of pictures and keep all of the equipment that you end up pulling off of it. I think you'll know what to do with it before you have to make the decision. Nice and congrats!

OP_Mopars

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions guys

For starters, I would never cut the car or do anything I couldn't fix just by bolting it back on...with that said, I have $6k invested on a motor that is sitting on the stand waiting to go into something. I have another $3k put into an aftermarket Shaker setup. I also have a console/buckets from another car that I was going to install (basically clone of a 440-equipped Cuda.

I got the Dana 60 and everything...thinking I will just take everything suspension/engine-wise out and put it in the storage building out back. If ever at some point in the future it gets put on the market I can include all the original stuff that came off.

Still, though, I'm torn. I could always just put the motor in the Formula S and play with that.

burntorange70

Reaction score
I would put the 440 in her. Like you said don't do any thing that can't be undone, keep the stock parts and you can always put it back to stock if you wanted.

a68postcar

Reaction score
i say save the parts and do whatever you like. i left the orig block out of the mix and hid it up. but i also have a complete 340 drive train for it if i ever get bored.

cam (264).jpg

Picture 366.jpg

Southside

Reaction score
I agree with Burntorange70. I took the pics of the all original stuff and I still have the original running 318 and every original item that includes each nut and bolt I took off and replaced with the new HP etc.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
while I have built a few Slants to make good power , milling the head .100 & porting it , using the later alum 2 bbl intake & a Holley 500 CFM carb & upgrading the exhaust to a header the performance can be decent but never earth shattering . I would bolt in the 440 ! The bottom line is you have to do what makes you happy , I do not see an original slant while rare really ever being worth much coin .

mofart

Reaction score
keep it stock

IMO, Keep it all 100% original since you are asking for an honest opinion. If and when you sell it later, you will get back what you spent into it later or at least 90% of it. If you are torn between the need for speed, then map out what you are willing to spend on a costly upgrade, don't forget about the right set-up to stop and handle the huge power. While keeping it original, you go in almost knowing how much you are spending- because you already have most of parts- just need to clean up parts mostly. Re-chroming is very expensive. I have a 72 340 Non-matching Cuda that was missing parts- so it was easy for me to go the upgrading route. Keep in mind going the upgrade route will always cost more than what you originally budgeted for. Like the over looked items- heavy duty motor mounts, quality bolts, ignition, battery, cables, hoses, clips, etc. will set you back more than you expect. If you go the upgrade route, then finding a built 440 will be your best options, because some people are dumping them at a fraction what they spent on them. If you pay someone to do the work-then big money. You will not get back what you spent on the car if you sell later- maybe 70%. I like doing the work simply by jumping in- take a lot of pictures and use ziplock bags, label everything at that moment, work 1 project at a time- don't rush the work and be safe wearing protection- especially safety glasses and gloves. I was only able to change the oil and battery when I took the plunge several years ago. I can do almost everything mechanically speaking now. Self taught through books, videos, youtube, friends, fourms, etc. It really gets fun with music, garage, beer, friends, hobby - I love the admiring aspect mostly. Anyways just some facts to consider. Thanks for the thread to allow me to speak my mind. Keep it real, MOpar is freedom baby!!:angel4:

btceng

Reaction score
The Chevy guys around here are doing some pretty impressive things with the 292's and a turbo. I still say that a Cuda should at least sound like a muscle car. That slant just won't have that v8 tone. Again, do what you want. It's only nuts and bolts.

Back