• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

what is a CUDA?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Absolutly the 70 /71 Cudas had front drum brakes , disc did not become std equipment until 72 , you had to option front disc brakes & yes the Cudas & Chall R/Ts had 11x3" front drums . We restored a 70 440+6 cuda last year that still had the original front drums with the pentastar cast in them , also my 70 R/T had the original front drums , both cars had around 40,000 original miles on them as of last year

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the 72-74 Cudas had different option levels , no /6 cars but small block Cudas did exist as all big block options were dropped after 71 , in 70 they had to have a 383 N code 4 bbl Super Commando minimum or the AAR / TA pkg , in 71 you could get the 340 4 bbl Cuda

TinCuda

Reaction score
Men, can someone clarify the proper credentials for a true CUDA? Was it a performance package? a trim package? what years was it offered? did it have to have a certain engine? I checked several web sited and they seem to call all 70-74 baracudas CUDA.....thanks for any details, Walt:icon_salut:

I know that this thread has turned into a brake debate. Nobody has mentioned that the 1971 'Cuda had front fender gills.

Only in 1971 and only on 'Cudas, not on Barracudas.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
the 72-74 Cudas had different option levels , no /6 cars but small block Cudas did exist as all big block options were dropped after 71 , in 70 they had to have a 383 N code 4 bbl Super Commando minimum or the AAR / TA pkg , in 71 you could get the 340 4 bbl Cuda
You could order a 340 'Cuda in '70. Figuring this all out can make one crazy. I wish I knew the reasons why all these combinations came about.

70_Barracuda0012.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
You could order a 340 'Cuda in '70. Figuring this all out can make one crazy. I wish I knew the reasons why all these combinations came about.

The fact that you could get a 340 in a `Cuda was the reason Dodge put the A66 package together for the Challenger and its introduction lagged behind the introduction of the rest of the line. I'm guessing that is why the early built cars had decals for engine callouts on the hood too, speculation.

1313259089861(1).jpg

NW_CUDA

Reaction score
Cuda PKG !!!

"CUDA" came with 11" brakes, mine did !! 11x2.5 on rear and 11x3" on front, factory 4spd with rear sway br. I put on pwr booster and I like these brakes over disk. Stops on a dime.....Ever in the neighborhood.... Stop IN...

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread, seems to have everybody's testosterone flowing. To end this just remember that the only reason that all cars are not just colored black is that price is what drove car sales in the beginning, like Model T's. We keep finding exceptions to the rules because the only thing for sure is, that nothing is for sure. Options are what drove sales, every body wants to be unique. Let's all agree to share our personal experience and not argue if this was possible or not. Everthing was possible if you checked the right boxes or knew the right people at the factory. I like it that way. Makes it more interesting.
Happy New year !!!

moparleo

Reaction score
Oh and the guy challenging someone to check his drum brakes. Are the brakes shoes stock material ? Try braking from 60 mph plus more than once and tell me your brakes don't fade. Drive though a large water puddle and try to stop on a dime and tell me your cars still stops straight before the shoes dry out. The only reason your car came with drums is because someone did no want to pay extra for the disk brakes.The fact is that disk brakes are all around the best performing under most conditions and require very little maintenance, unlike drums which require periodic adjustments to perform properly. Do you think that any manufacturer out there would install disk brakes if they weren't safer and more efficient than drums.

TinCuda

Reaction score
OK, all you brake geniues...

These are pictures of one of the rear drums on my BS23N1B 1971 'Cuda. What size are they?

The fronts are factory disc brakes.

02DEC11_018.1.jpg

02DEC11_019.1.jpg

Last edited:

7071 challenger

Reaction score
Well, if we refer to the years 1970 & 1971, The CUDA came standanrd with a 383HP (Commando, equivalent of the DODGE Magnum). Optional were the 340s, 440s & Hemi, (no 6s or 318s available on the CUDAs). I' ve seen Challenger R/Ts with front drum brakes, so I imagine front disc brakes were optional on CUDAs as well, so I agree with Challenger6pak on that one. The Barracuda vin sequence begins with BH23 and the CUDA begin with BS23, (S means Special). The fifth digit is the engine, (C=6, G=318, H=340, N=383HP, U=440HP, V=440-6 & R= 426 Hemi, while the sixth digit is the year, (0=1970, 1=1971, 2=1972, ect...). In 1972, things have changed and the 340 was the biggest engine available, (no more big blocks available in E-bodies in 1972, 73 & 74. The Cudas did have heavy duty suspension. A guy here, (rave_12000), have a 1970 Challenger R/T for sale, JS23, N code, (383 magnum), with 11'' front drum brakes. Front disc brakes is code B41. If it' s not on the fender tag, you probably have front drum brakes. Hope that helps.

NW_CUDA

Reaction score
Brakes ??

if you have disk on front they came/stock 10" on rear. And yes you have to ride your brakes going threw water and with the new brake pads out & around you DON'T have any fffaaadddeee brakes.. But come on it's a New Year and before you know it, it will be cruisen-time, dust off the cob-webs and wax the old Mopar and hit the road and watch out for the Polize..
Have a nice and safe NEW YEAR !!!! From the NW where we invent CRUISEN.......

TinCuda

Reaction score
1971 BS23N1B 'Cuda

OK, this is out of a Chilton's repair and tune up guide for Barracuda Challenger 1965-72. It has a copyright date of 1972. I have the 16th printing dated January 1988. This book seems to show 11 inch rear drums for 383-4 engines and larger and 10 inch rear drums for 383-2 and smaller. Correct me if I am wrong, or this book.

My car is a factory 383-4 with front disc brakes. My rear brakes look like 10 inch drums. I am confused.

By the way, my car is over at a friends house. He has a shop there where we are putting the engine together right now and I don't have free run of his place. If it was at my home, I would just take a tape measure to it.

OH, and sorry about hijacking this thread HARD...lol

Thanks

scan001001.2.1.jpg

scan001001.3.jpg

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
typically front disc had 10" rear drums which is what those appear to be . the 4 wheel drum cars often had 11x 2.5 rear drum brakes

Back