• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What was the correct carb for my 70 383 4bbl auto?

Sledgehammer

Reaction score
I have been reading up on my 70 Grand Coupe N code car, It seems that the Automatic transmission cars came with a "blue" engine which seems correct because the original engine with my car is blue. I may or may not have the original carb to the car, some resources say it should have a Holley others say only the 4 Speed cars came with Holleys and the Auto's came with Carters...( is that the ThermoQuad?) I have a T-Quad on it I think... (i know it;s not a Holley) I haven't looked for numbers are anything, but it all hooks up "factory looking" Linkage, fuel, choke etc...

How do you find out which carb is correct and where would or what would the numbers supposed to be on the carb?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
If it is a Carter it should be an AVS carb. Look on the front of it, on the base where the bolts holes are. Are there any numbers stamped there? Some of the Carters are only identifiable by a tag that is attached to them. Once the tag is gone, the information is gone.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It could be either a Holley or the carter , I have seen N code 383 auto with the Holley & A/C TQ started in 71

Sledgehammer

Reaction score
Well, It must be a Carter AVS, it's not a Holley or T-Quad. I will try to get some numbers off of it, You can see some stamped but my eyes are getting older...

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Rubbing a pencil over them will sometimes make them easier to see.

Sledgehammer

Reaction score
F9 4615 S..... Looks to be on the front base

There is a tag also... It says 4615 S Has 1759 below that and then a big 77 on the tag to the right .

My car was built in 69 as an early 70... So it may or may not be right .... Some sites say the 4615 is for a manual car, but mine has all the hookups for an automatic.

Sledgehammer

Reaction score
The engine in it is a 69 Charger 440 HP. I got the original 383 when I purchased the car. I am getting ready to send it out to get rebuilt.

Carb...

Doc3405_zps888a3a68.jpg

Engine.
Doc3410_zps9035ea3f.jpg

The 440 Has a complete VIN stamped on the side of it...
XS23L9B243290 or it could be an XS29L9B... that 4th digit is really hard to make out.

Shows to be a 1969 Dodge Charger Special L - V8 440 CID 1-4BBL "RB" (High Performance), built in Hamtrack Michigan. Pretty Cool (I guess)

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Leo, where did you get the color information. My no air N code is orange. It is also a manual trans car. As far as I know the manual cars were orange and the auto cars were blue.

moparcuda

Reaction score
I have been reading up on my 70 Grand Coupe N code car, It seems that the Automatic transmission cars came with a "blue" engine which seems correct because the original engine with my car is blue. I may or may not have the original carb to the car, some resources say it should have a Holley others say only the 4 Speed cars came with Holleys and the Auto's came with Carters...( is that the ThermoQuad?) I have a T-Quad on it I think... (i know it;s not a Holley) I haven't looked for numbers are anything, but it all hooks up "factory looking" Linkage, fuel, choke etc...

How do you find out which carb is correct and where would or what would the numbers supposed to be on the carb?

Back