• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Whats it worth?

edl

Reaction score
yep...another one of those threads - never owned a mopar before...so not familiar with values

looking at a 70 U code - in normal english, a 1970 'cuda, 440 4 barrel

a little different in that it is a four speed manual transmission - understand not that many of those were made (100 or so??)

numbers match EXCEPT the transmission - not sure what happened to it

but engine and rear end are stamped with ??? last 6 of VIN? - what was coded?

have restored corvettes (don't shoot!) - they are fanatics - when you hear numbers match, you are not only talking about pumps, carb, but also seals even patterns on bolt heads

is the e-body world like that? - if i were to re-sell the car down the road, what does the car need to have to be a "true" numbers match car?

how big a deal is it that the tranny is date correct but not numbers matching?

also, i understand there is very little documentation - so no build sheets, window sticker, bill of sale, etc - how big of an issue is that for value?

in terms of value, this particular car is in the midst of being restored (owner has run out of money) - so engine is rebuilt, and tranny and rear end (so drive train) - trim is stripped, but supposedly all there - rubber front bumper

no idea what the interior looks like

owner says the sheet metal is in good shape - quarters are still original - window cowls (parts where the windshield and rear window touch the sheet metal on the bottom edge - i think these are called cowels (at least the front one)) - he says there is a "little" rot in the trunk - and yes, i know if where there is a "little" rust, there is a lot more somewhere

anyway, will look at it this weekend and will be able to say more (like, i own it) - but based on the above, what do you guys think?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, looks like there were 334 440 4spd Cudas made in `70. There will be no vin stamped on the rear axle, just the engine and trans. Is there any vin # stamped on the trans?, because if not, it could have been a warrenty replacement unit. Any fender tag?, will be located on the driver side fenderr apron near the battery. There are also body numbers stamped on the top of the cowl at base of windshield and one under the weatherstripping/trunk seal and one on the top rail/yoke of the radiator core support, these should all match the last 8 digits of the vin. There is also a door vin decal on the rear jamb of the driver door near latch. If it has no build sheet or fender tag it does affect the value in that you will never really know what options the car came with with the exception of what little info the vin # tells you. Do you know what color the car is/was?.

edl

Reaction score
DetMatt - thanks for your email - it is very helpful

Have spoken to the owner again to go through this, based on your post

For context, he is a restorer and has been in the business about 20 years - he does Mopars and has restored and sold about 30 cars - he calls the car about 90% complete

VIN: car looks to have the original vin tag - meaning it does not appear to be faked - the engine, radiator yoke/rail, cowl and trunk all have the partial vin stamped

Engine: as above, it is vin stamped and therefore original - it is mostly complete (in terms of numbers matching/date correct) - it does not have the original carburator or air cleaner - i don't know about the intake manifold or smaller items like pumps, alternator, etc -

Transmission: it is not the original, 18 spline Hemi trans that the car came with and would have had the vin stamped - it does have casting numbers, but he never chased those down - so it is either a date correct trans at best, or a four speed that works at worst

Fender tag: MISSING

rear end: he call it original - so that means it is date correct at best b/c as you point out, it does not have the vin stamped on it - but it is the correct dana rear end (3.54 gear i think)

Body: he is very enthusiastic on the body - says it is all original sheet metal including quarter panels - he says the only sheet metal that would have to be replaced is the trunk floor

Color: yellow

Interior: all there, but needs to be redone - has correct rallye dash and cluster - didn't ask about smaller items (radio for example), but he did say the seats and seat frames are all there - so let's say pretty complete interior that needs restoration

Exterior: about the same - meaning, pretty complete but needs restoration - so bumpers there (rubber front, chrome back) - assuming the tail light assemblies are there - grill is there

So - what do you guys think in terms of value? - let's make the assumption that it is a true U code car, not a rustbucket but in good shape, mostly there (only main thing missing is the tranny (and the fender tag)), engine and drive train rebuilt, but needing a full restoration

look forward to hearing from you

thanks

Last edited:
Back