• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

When does it stop being an original, and start becoming a reproduction?

DrEamer

Reaction score
This is one of those questions that has kind of been burning on me for awhile. It really started when Graveyard Carz took the Cuda that was called the Phantom Cuda down to AMD and had them basically build a whole car with not much more then part of the floor, door jams, and some of the firewall being original. While I am glad they "saved " the car, I really do not consider it an original. Certainly not numbers matching, and definitely should not have the value of true survivor car. In many ways, I think even a reshell is more true to an original car then what they did. I am saying only GYC does this, but it was an example that many people can reference to know what I am talking about.

aussiemark

Reaction score
It's a hard one like you said it's great they saved it and such a good job was done to restore it as new, I agree it is not the same as a true survivor in exceptional condition but is it as good as an original car in average to poor condition?

Doc Corey

Reaction score
With my car, I tried to keep as much original as possible. But you know how it is, after you start stripping paint and finding more and more rot, next thing you know, you've replaced darn near everything. I saved the firewall and front frame rails, all the pillars and outer rockers, and the rear floor/package area. When I can still see this stuff that was there from the beginning, I still feel like I'm driving something from the past.

DrEamer

Reaction score
:lol: Was that the year AMD started? Anyway, not a serious thread on my part. Re-pop is a necessary part of keeping these cars going. I have several AMD panels on my car as well. My painter even wanted to see if I would order another front fender instead fixing the OEM one that I had.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I was referring to the new gen Challengers. I like them but they are the reproductions.

DrEamer

Reaction score
I was referring to the new gen Challengers. I like them but they are the reproductions.

Well that one went completely over my head. I guess I always termed the new Challenger as a retro, but I see your point. Strangely, Dynocorn does make their Challenger shell as true reproduction, but it has to be registered as a new car (depending on state) if I understand correctly.

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Well that one went completely over my head. I guess I always termed the new Challenger as a retro, but I see your point. Strangely, Dynocorn does make their Challenger shell as true reproduction, but it has to be registered as a new car (depending on state) if I understand correctly.

Doc Corey

Reaction score
I'd like to know where they get their roof frames from , 'cause I don't think they sell them.

DrEamer

Reaction score
I'd like to know where they get their roof frames from , 'cause I don't think they sell them.

I am not sure, since they really do not go into great detail on their website. They really do not put have any good pictures of their product either.

I do remember when they first came out, there was quite a bit of concern that people might use them to reshell.

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Have you ever seen one of these 'repop' shells? I wonder if they dupe the extensive amount of stamped part numbers on the parts like Chrysler Corp. did? I think if someone was going to shell out megabucks for a car (Hemi, Six-Pak, etc), they'd be able to tell if it was a re-shell.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Those Dynacorn shells were supposed to be built better the originals and I do remember they had to rework their door shell press because the doors they were supplying before they started doing bodies were too wide and didn't fit their body when they started doing them. I don't think they are making Challenger bodies any more there were photos and talk about Challenger convertible bodies but I don't know if this ever happened or will.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Those Dynacorn shells were supposed to be built better the originals and I do remember they had to rework their door shell press because the doors they were supplying before they started doing bodies were too wide and didn't fit their body when they started doing them. I don't think they are making Challenger bodies any more there were photos and talk about Challenger convertible bodies but I don't know if this ever happened or will.

I find it a little humorous and ironic that their own doors did not even fit. That does not bode well for their quality being better then original. I do not know if they are still selling them, but the Challenger is still listed on their website.

Back