• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Will this trans work?

73fish

Reaction score
Replacing drivetrain in my Cuda building 72 340 stroker (416) picked up a 83 727 out of a truck #PK4058395 as,the current 904 is toast, will this work? If so what mods need to be done?

Thx
Phil

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Tranmission lines are different. The torque converter from the truck has very little stall. If you get a replacement converter for the 340 it will have a better stall that you won't notice under daily driving. It will also be balanced for your motor. It should be the converter with the large ring gear. The small 904 flex plate will bolt right up to it. This is for your motor stock. When you build it you may want a higher stall than factory. You will need a converter balanced to your crank cast, or steel. You will need a shorter drive shaft with the 727 tranmission yoke on it. There are two U joint sizes. If you buy a used shaft make sure it fits the rear end yoke on your car.

73fish

Reaction score
Tranmission lines are different. The torque converter from the truck has very little stall. If you get a replacement converter for the 340 it will have a better stall that you won't notice under daily driving. It will also be balanced for your motor. It should be the converter with the large ring gear. The small 904 flex plate will bolt right up to it. This is for your motor stock. When you build it you may want a higher stall than factory. You will need a converter balanced to your crank cast, or steel. You will need a shorter drive shaft with the 727 tranmission yoke on it. There are two U joint sizes. If you buy a used shaft make sure it fits the rear end yoke on your car.

Thanks 6pak I knew I'd have to install a new converter as I'm shooting for 500+hp didn't know there were different sizes for the gear. Is it just a location on the trans where the lines feed or are the lines a different size?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Line location. The 727 uses longer lines. 500 hp should use the aftermarket converter of your choice with an aftermarket solid flex plate.

73fish

Reaction score
Line location. The 727 uses longer lines. 500 hp should use the aftermarket converter of your choice with an aftermarket solid flex plate.

Thanks 6pak... I will post as the build progresses should be a beast

73fish

Reaction score
Anytime. Will look forward to the thread.

I was told the 83 trans may be a lock up unit not sure what the differece is? Is that just a lock up converter that came in later model trucks? I'm installing a new converter anyway. I was also told I need the long tail trans do you know what length the the longer tail is? Will a drive shaft with the larger yoke from a 72 Cuda with an 833 work with the 727?...Thanks for all the help

moparleo

Reaction score
Chrysler changed to a lock-up convertor in 1978. You can identify the trans by the input shaft. The splines on the lockup trans end about 5/8" from the end of the shaft. The non lockup trans splines go to the end of the shaft.

73fish

Reaction score
Chrysler changed to a lock-up convertor in 1978. You can identify the trans by the input shaft. The splines on the lockup trans end about 5/8" from the end of the shaft. The non lockup trans splines go to the end of the shaft.

Thx leo

Im still trying to find out if the driveshaft from a sb 833 is the same as a sb 727 on a 73 Cuda with 489 diff.?

moparleo

Reaction score
ebodydriveshafts (2).jpgHere is a chart that might help,

ebodydriveshafts (2).jpg

Back