• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Wiring harness

tom brawley

Reaction score
New member from Minnesota. Working on a 1970 Convertible and want to update the wiring end to end. I am hoping I can find some information from other members on what the issues are with the three kits I'm considering.
American Autowire
Painless
Ron Francis

moparleo

Reaction score
:welcome: aboard. Check in at the welcome wagon to log in for new members.
Non are pre fabbed harnesses. If you want an oe compatible harness, M&H and YearOne are correct, plug in replacement harnesses. Same color codes and connectors. If you want to add things to the electrical system that will put more strain on a stock harness like stereo, electric fans, fuel injection, additional power items then the ones that you are looking at will be the way to go.

tom brawley

Reaction score
I've added electric fans and am in the process of adding fuel injection. Figured now was the time to update the harness. Part of my concern is the completeness of the kits. Do they have the OE type sockets for the head lights and tail lights. Should I get reproduction harnesses for them from someone like Year One and use in conjunction with the kit?

Ted70challenger

Reaction score
I have replaced the engine bay harness years ago . I also added electric fans, msd ignition , ect , ect . Myself I simply made my own harness for all the aftermarket stuff and ran it along side with the factory harness. It looked good as I wrapped the aftermarket wires with similar non adhesive vinyl. If you got a but load of add ones as I did it’s a way to go . The non adhesive tape is available if you look for it .

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Of the 3 you listed I would go with American Autowire
I have done a number of these , it took 4 days to wire a Cuda completely adding a Gen 3 Hemi & air suspension , heated power seats & custom dash & I know what I am doing , , I have also wired cars from scratch !
The kits overall are not very complete , fuse block & wiring are ther light sockets & switches not so much .
On Ebay or Amazon you can find 20 circuit harnesses for around $120 which are not much different than Ron Francis at 4-5x the cost !
SO it really depends on how competant you are at wiring !
You csn rewire the car factory & add a relay block for switching extra circuits for example .

Welcome form Panama BTW

tom brawley

Reaction score
thank you for the information. When you rewired the Cuda, what did you use for the light sockets and other plugs?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Originals , he used custom headlights so we used different plugs ,
he had different switches in some places other were factory so we crimps on new ends & inserted them into the old plastic connectors

fasjac

Reaction score
I have used year one with zero issues. Also run electric fans with relays and fuse links. So far so good. Good luck with your project.
And Welcome from Arkansas!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The wiring kits are universal , the # of light sockets & style vary with different cars as well as other switches .

Back