• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

WIW - Is this 70 six pac car thats missing drivetrain worthy to get involved ?

heminut

Reaction score
When I showed up, I did have the cash he is not budging off the price in fact, as we were talking, he told me after I looked at it for 20 minutes. The price just went up five more thousand
That is the point where I would have said "Adios A**hole!" and walked away! I don't care how bad I want something, you don't get to play that game with me.

440WB

Reaction score
talking to a couple guys about this car thing -
we are thinking he removed the interior to pour - paint over the rusty floors to hide it - then he threw in all this stuff with parts in covering it as well -

re - looking again at this picture -
NOTICE the ORANGE CAN OF PAINT
so the ole saying is true -
' EVERY PICTURE TELLS A STORY ' -
dont it -

IMG_4835.jpeg

pschlosser

Reaction score
Did you ever disclose the #s the seller was asking? Maybe I missed it. I've been pondering this scenario of yours.

We don't always get to pick and choose from whom we buy. Many of us welcome buying from a granny that babied her car and can tell us all of it's sordid past.

Other times, when the seller doesn't know their arse from a falling comet, we rely on our instincts, and push through the deal when we think we're getting a bargain.

It sounds like at best, this is a genuine BS23V car that is stripped of most of its juicy parts and may need extensive body work during a proper restore.

In the end, it's still a documented 440-6 car with a genuine build sheet.

Unless the asking price of the buyer is out of my reach, I would pursue it, no matter how back-country-prejudice they may be.

440WB

Reaction score
That is the point where I would have said "Adios A**hole!" and walked away! I don't care how bad I want something, you don't get to play that game with me.

ok - Im a reasonable guy - probably more than some - as to being an understanding person - manager person most of my life
( tolerance is of the essence )

I do feel his pain - like everyone else who has sold or tried to sell a car - the sales end of it can get very frustrating dealing with people -
then you have the reality of the time frame waiting for that one person! What sucks is knowing something has a real value compared to the same things. How to obtain the cash -
can lead to confusion with desperation.

what he didn't realise is - that up until that point I may have been his best lead - I was planning to make the purchase with him -
WHY THE F--- ELSE WOULD I after texting and leaving messages to him for almost a week -
DRIVE WASTING MY TIME WITH THE GAS ALMOST 3 HOURS EACH WAY TO COME OUT ?

I showed up - said hello - Im finally here -
that was it ....
he offered his hand for a handshake - I gave a fist pump -
he pointed to the barn and said their it is in the back. I walked in -
making my own trail way thru furniture and belongings -
came back out to say I have to get my flashlight - came back to look her over for 20 mins trying to get pictures as it was dark and most did not take - ( I have not said a word at that point )
when I came out - he with his sister or girlfriend maybe his aunt ... was moving some furniture and stuff.
asked me SO what I wanted to do.
I simply said - if we could bring the car outside ( I would help you while Im here ) and put her up on jacks - I could look underneath and would access what work I need to do.
Thats when he said - I have 2 minutes to decide before he raises the price $5k
All I said after that was you know with the drivetrain - shaker and bumpers missing I would have to invest at least $35k making her worth maybe $75 tops if restored about a years of my time.
His reply was you know you wont find another car like this that would be worth $140k
I told him well good luck and I would make a couple calls and think about it on my way home.

pschlosser

Reaction score
His reply was you know you wont find another car like this that would be worth $140k
The seller may be right, but he's not selling you a restored car, is he? I've observed in some sellers who may be selling a pre-restored pile of junk, they start thinking they are owed some of the gains (or profit) from the finished restored product.

He WILL sell the car. Maybe not at the number he wants, maybe not the # he quoted you.

So, presuming the $$$ still look good, we are left to decide, do we navigate the B.S. to close the deal? Or wait for the next one?

The next ones are becoming... you know.... scarce.

Given the global warming uptick and how it may affect petrol muscle cars being driven in the U.S.A in the next 5-10 years, I do wonder just how many years we have left in this muscle car restoring bubble we enjoy since the 1980s.

If you want to restore a genuine woopteedo car (I know I do) you may be able to swaller your pride and see it through.

Oh yea, and barn finds? I prophecy there are only 3 to 10 of those left in the USA. It's just a guess, but barn finds are evolving into urban legends.

I found and bought one back in the mid-80s. I don't expect lighting to strike like that twice in my lifetime. Though, your mileage may vary.

440WB

Reaction score
Did you ever disclose the #s the seller was asking? Maybe I missed it. I've been pondering this scenario of yours.

We don't always get to pick and choose from whom we buy. Many of us welcome buying from a granny that babied her car and can tell us all of it's sordid past.

Other times, when the seller doesn't know their arse from a falling comet, we rely on our instincts, and push through the deal when we think we're getting a bargain.

It sounds like at best, this is a genuine BS23V car that is stripped of most of its juicy parts and may need extensive body work during a proper restore.

In the end, it's still a documented 440-6 car with a genuine build sheet.

Unless the asking price of the buyer is out of my reach, I would pursue it, no matter how back-country-prejudice they may be.
your right - I did NOT mention the cost -
his price is probably fair at $30k

The issue is -
he wont let you properly look at it -
he will not send pictures PERIOD -
he wont answere questions -
I have asked for pictures of the undercarriage with rust areas or anything else needing replaced -
He is UnRealislic - to say the least -
I had asked him if he could or would at least explain what the car needed.
he is exspecting the person to show up with a car hauler to then pay the cash ( no bargaining )
and just take it away

440WB

Reaction score
he knows the undercarriage needs changed out - most likely the floors with frames wheel wells
who know what else if and when one removes the paint on the exterior body panels

Last edited:

440WB

Reaction score
he did have the driver frame apx 12" under the seat at the tortion bar with that cut out and patched and welded - all looks heavy rusted

that was very hard to see in the dark with me on passenger side my face on the cement floor and my head rubbing on the rocker panel trying to see under -

looking at rear pass front wheel well has hole at bottom - could not get to the rear of the car except to see 8 3/4 ( not dana ) with low flat leaf springs

Last edited:

pschlosser

Reaction score
The issue is -
he wont let you properly look at it -
he will not send pictures PERIOD -
Those actions only help the SELLER establish value.

What if: there is no motor, no drive drain, the car is stripped of every valuable option if may have come with, and its so rusty, it may need to go to the frame during a proper resto. BUT... it still has the broadcast sheet, and shall have some decent value once restored.

In a full restoration to one of those show-quality or museum-quality cars, pretty much every part has to be inspected and replaced with a better specimen (when the one on hand is beyond restoration) anyway.

So then, ask yourself, what is the opportunity to rebuild a valuable car by finding and replacing most of the parts worth to you?

TBH, 30K is a decent price just for the shell, just for the chassis with build sheet. For this car? I would pay it. Maybe even 35k. Maybe even 40.

I'm confident there are buyers out there willing to pay 40K for the opportunity to restore something genuine, instead of those "tribute cars" or "clones" as others may choose when they have no other options.

You, John, have options. But they wont last for this car :)

440WB

Reaction score
he did say that the building and property is for sale as well with the contents of other basket case taken apart cars with engine parts and car parts - No E body except for this car.

some another things -

we dont even know if this has a legal title ?
or if its in his name?
is it even his car? ( stolen ? )
is he related to the person who had the title?
is a brother - uncle in jail - and he is selling for a fast take and run profit ?
is a brother - father in a nursing home or at home sick - coaching him about the value ?

is this a divorce case in progress ? ( um... )

he was asking to take a deposit - and you will never see him again ?

Im sure other things are or could be at play -

440WB

Reaction score
Those actions only help the SELLER establish value.

What if: there is no motor, no drive drain, the car is stripped of every valuable option if may have come with, and its so rusty, it may need to go to the frame during a proper resto. BUT... it still has the broadcast sheet, and shall have some decent value once restored.

In a full restoration to one of those show-quality or museum-quality cars, pretty much every part has to be inspected and replaced with a better specimen (when the one on hand is beyond restoration) anyway.

So then, ask yourself, what is the opportunity to rebuild a valuable car by finding and replacing most of the parts worth to you?

TBH, 30K is a decent price just for the shell, just for the chassis with build sheet. For this car? I would pay it. Maybe even 35k. Maybe even 40.

I'm confident there are buyers out there willing to pay 40K for the opportunity to restore something genuine, instead of those "tribute cars" or "clones" as others may choose when they have no other options.

You, John, have options. But they wont last for this car :)
you my friend are 100% correct!

I obviously feel that way - you can see Im perplexed with this thing

pschlosser

Reaction score
he did say that the building and property is for sale as well with the contents of other basket case taken apart cars with engine parts and car parts - No E body except for this car.

some another things -

or if its in his name?
is a brother - uncle in jail - and he is selling for a fast take and run profit ?
is a brother - father in a nursing home or at home sick - coaching him about the value ?

True, we don't know these (seller issue) things. But they are not our concern, only that of the SELLER to transfer title. If he cannot transfer a proper title (without drama, hopefully) the value goes down.

I was once able to buy a rare-ish proper prestigious motor e-body and I had to go a full year (less than 2) to resolve all the drama to transfer the title nice and proper.

To this day, I strongly feel it was worth it.

440WB

Reaction score
once she is presented proplerly - the right person will jump on this -

pschlosser

Reaction score
I don't have the reserves to step in and buy this thing. But I know someone who would go to 40K+ to get a documented rusty empty shell to restore.

If you can, don't pass this one by. Use your best judgment. Let the hick be a hick. If you can weasel a nice restoration project from him under a budget you can afford, you have all my support.

440WB

Reaction score
True, we don't know these (seller issue) things. But they are not our concern, only that of the SELLER to transfer title. If he cannot transfer a proper title (without drama, hopefully) the value goes down.

I was once able to buy a rare-ish proper prestigious motor e-body and I had to go a full year (less than 2) to resolve all the drama to transfer the title nice and proper.

To this day, I strongly feel it was worth it.
even if seller does so right to you - if something goes wrong down the road -
all of your efforts would be in vain - if the case
was proven agaist you.

say its a divorce - and hubby dont know about the sale - then what...

I have a friend with just that problem with his car - his ex holds the title - he holds the car -

pschlosser

Reaction score
even if seller does so right to you - if something goes wrong down the road -
all of your efforts would be in vain - if the case
was proven agaist you.

say its a divorce - and hubby dont know about the sale - then what...

I have a friend with just that problem with his car - his ex holds the title - he holds the car -
Wait, what? Down the road?

I don't understand. Title transfer is clean or it isn't. We know this BEFORE money changes hands... right? If we do our research, we are not victims to some of these things.

Moparply

Reaction score
Great car when finished.

No need for the original poster to buy it. He already said he would not be keeping it and no one in his family would want it.

moparleo

Reaction score
Contrary to what someone said, there is always another car. People have been saying there are no more for over 20 years but they keep popping up.
People die, people inherit things, people need money, getting a divorce, people want something new.
There many reasons that things come onto the market all the time.
It is not like they only made 1.
And you only have a broadcast sheet for provenance. 30K roll of the dice. I can't afford that, can you ?

Attachments

• CHALLENGER PRODUCTION NUMBERS.pdf
    441.4 KB · Views: 80

DetMatt1

Reaction score

some another things -

or if its in his name?

What other cars Are there?

440WB

Reaction score
Matt - I really dont know -
did not spend much time except to look over the cuda -

will reach out to him later

Back