• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hole in Firewall not identified

71droptop

Reaction score
Hey hi- that might be the reverse back up light ( on the dash- 4 spd cars).
Tach wire goes right thru firewall to coil.
Thanks for the reply.

ZippyZoo

Reaction score
IMG_1934.JPG

My '71 vert also has a clamp mounted at the mystery hole!
I'm new to FEBO - great information and sharing. Thanks

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pic Zip......looks like the hole in mine was a later 1970 model year addition.....running the windshield fluid hose and regulator wiring? Plus what else is going through that wire clip?

ZippyZoo

Reaction score
Doubleyellow - I went back to pictures I took in 1987 (original) before the first "rust-oration" and engine swap. Best I can tell, as you said, the washer hose plus two harnesses: 1) feeding the ballast resistor/coil/distributor and 2) the regulator one running along the right side valve cover up to the alternator (and, I think, the horns). At least one of the harnesses has a rectangular plastic loop attached which hooks onto the firewall clip. Challenger vert was built in OCT70 - 318 engine.
Firewall clip 1.jpg

Grady Cain

Reaction score
This is all great stuff! By comparing information and photos from known original cars, this is how we really learn the finer details about what Ma Mopar did (or didn't do) on the assembly line. This is the signature of a true enthusiasts' forum - members helping members with a small but important detail like a tiny hole in the firewall. I am pleased to see all of the responses and kudos to the OP for inquiring so he can get his restoration correct. Mopar passion man - love it...

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Splitting hairs here, but mine was built April 27, 1970 - so late in April.......aussiemark what day in April for yours?

doubleyellow

Reaction score
I went by my fender tag......second row from the bottom........second number from the right......mine is "427", so April 27.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Another thing is mine is a sunroof car so maybe there was a delay because the car was sent to the ASC to have the sunroof fitted so the body shell could be older then the date on the sticker.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Splitting hairs here, but mine was built April 27, 1970 - so late in April.......aussiemark what day in April for yours?

How do you know it was actually built on April 27th? The date stamped on the fender tag is the scheduled production date and not necessarily the actual build date. My A12 Super Bee has 426 (April 26) as the SPD but documentation of several cars with VINs surrounding mine places my car as actually built around May 20th.

doubleyellow

Reaction score
I did not know that......so is there any documentation or marking on the car that is the closest to the "actual" build date (unfortunately my build sheet and door sticker are long gone)

aussiemark

Reaction score
I decoded the build sheet and it was scheduled to be built on the 5th day of March but I will check the numbers on the fender tag and let you know what they are.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
I decoded the build sheet and it was scheduled to be built on the 5th day of March but I will check the numbers on the fender tag and let you know what they are.

The SPD on your fender tag will be the same as the date listed at the beginning of the "Vehicle Order Number" section on your build sheet. Again, this is just the date the car was released to be assembled and not necessarily the actual assembly date.

aussiemark

Reaction score
On the fender tag second row from the bottom, second numbers from the right is 309. On the build sheet the first numbers for the vehicle order number are 305, the warranty papers have a delivery date 5/15/70

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I did not know that......so is there any documentation or marking on the car that is the closest to the "actual" build date (unfortunately my build sheet and door sticker are long gone)
The number stamped on the front of your original engine crossmember is the date the engine was mounted to it.

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Follow-Up to this.....I pulled out my old harness and did find the wire harness that goes in the firewall, but also note there are 2 additional clips wound into the harness wrapping........eventually need to find out exactly where the clips were located in the harness (most of the wrapping shredded off so ca't tell the exact spot)

Should have looked at my old harness originally, but it was interesting seeing the differences between the e-bodies
Harness 2.jpg
Harness.jpg
just within a few months in 1970.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Could have been an update on later models to keep the wiring away from the HV distributor wires

Back