• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Guy from Ne

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Hello FEBO! My name is Dan and live in the southwest part of the Cornhusker state. Have been on the forum for about a week. There seems to be a wealth of information here. I was mostly a Chevy guy and still own my first car a 71 chevelle for 35 years. About 3 years ago I rescued a 70 challenger that had been rotting in a garage for 25 years. Talked to the owner and brought it home the same day! Finally got it running this summer. Have put a ton of stuff on it so far. It's a work in progress but I am driving it as I work on it. I'm not up on All the mopar stuff like factory options but It sure has been fun working on this car, just couldn't see it rotting in that garage anymore. Anyway I hope to learn more from this forum.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Thanks for taking care of that beauty. Is it a real R/T? What’s your plan?

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Thanks for taking care of that beauty. Is it a real R/T? What’s your plan?
Have it in black primer right now. Needs exhaust tips and glass trim. Mostly been working on mechanics. I have redone the front disc brakes. Still has all all original sheet metal and no rust. Never drove it until this summer. I am use to chevelles so it handles a little different! Kinda light in the rear. Anyway, have to find the fender tag in my parts to see about the r/t thing. I know it turns 50 next month as it was made in sep 69. Made right after Woodstock! LOL thanks for your reply!

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from mid Michigan. There is nothing like original steel and no rust. Do your cars growl at each other sitting that close together?:lol:

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Welcome!

Let's see that fender tag! Is this an original U code or V code 440?
Looks sweet! What was it's original color?
Just my opinion, that fender tag should be on the car. Mopar collectors look at that tag as a holy grail item. It's everything for the car!

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from mid Michigan. There is nothing like original steel and no rust. Do your cars growl at each other sitting that close together?:lol:
Both cars will have to get along. The chevelle is a small block. This is the first big block I ever had. The challenger has a good home now compared to where I found it.

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Welcome!

Let's see that fender tag! Is this an original U code or V code 440?
Looks sweet! What was it's original color?
Just my opinion, that fender tag should be on the car. Mopar collectors look at that tag as a holy grail item. It's everything for the car!
I will look for the code on the engine. The tag wasn't on the car when I pulled it out of the old garage. I think it was in a old coffee can of parts. Did know it was important. Will find it today and put it back on. it probably looks like the cowl tag on my chevelle? The paint looks like it was green from the factory. Still learning about these cars. Thanks For the info

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
It will look like this red tag in the first picture.
There could be a few other small tags that go along with this.
A small one inch by one inch tag that might have a stamp on it.
Or a long skinny metal tag that has lots of stamping on it. The assembly line workers would cut off the long build tag but some cars retain it.
The second picture has the small square tag with a stamp.
The third and fourth picture have what you can see of the assembly line tag. The first looks to have been mostly cut off with only the last section remaining. The last picture you can only make out a little bit of the assembly line tag on the left of the tag.

Very important stuff to a future owner. I personally won't buy a car without a fender tag. So it does limit the resale value of the car to not have it on the car.

z3K.jpg

z2p1.jpg

z2l.jpg

z3i.jpg

RJHJR

Reaction score
Welcome!

Serial number will indicate whether or not its an RT, JS(RT) or JH(not); and its true heart (440=U(4BBL) or V(6pk)?).

If its the original engine and transmission the last few digits of the serial number will be on both.

Find the build sheet and you can get a tag made. Hopefully it was not mouse food. Look under the seats and behind the back seat. Some have been found on top of the glove box.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Rapidfire :welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey

Looking forward to seeing more information on your new Challenger.
By some lucky chance; is there a sticker inside the driver's side door jamb at the back? The serial number tag on the driver's side dash also has the information
mylar_311229.jpg

It will have the JS or JH code and an engine code.
Dino2 (1).gif

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Welcome from NW CT. Glad to see another Mopar rescued and another Chevy owner getting to know about what all of us here have so much passion for - MOPARS man!!! You will love that Challenger - trust me. Please keep us posted on your progress with it...

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Finally found the fender tag and located the door vin sticker thanks to CudA Hunter and 340challconvert. Tell me what I have!? Be gentle as I paid $8500 for it three years ago and just got it running. It's rust free so I won't be spending anytime replacing sheet metal. Couldn't find the 440 info maybe looking in the wrong place. I did notice that it has the hp exhaust manifold on it. Any reply good or bad is welcome.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Car was originally a 318-2 with a scheduled build date of September 23, 1969. The paint code Y4. It is a Los Angelos built car.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Just to clarify the current engine? A big block 383 or 440 would have the distributor on the front passenger side of the engine. A small block will have the distributor at rear of the engine.

The paint; FY4 is pretty rare- a light gold poly color. The interior had cloth/vinyl seats in green; again somewhat rare. Was an interesting color combo!
Original engine had California emissions and car had factory AC.
Racing mirror driver’s side and am radio.
$8500 is not bad for a clean, rust free Challenger and a steal if it has a big block!
JMO

Last edited:

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
That's a pretty cool color combo. Have not seen that one before!
Good thing you found the fender tag as most of the LA built cars did not retain their build sheets.

It's a pretty standard car, but if it has no rust and you paid less than 10K and it's a running car you made out! Great buy!

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Haven't looked for a build sheet yet. I might do that today, probably start with the seats!? The engine runs great, it fills up the whole engine bay. Distributor is in front. Will probably get out on the black top today and go to the local car show. Thanks again CudA Hunter and 340challconvert.

budascuda

Reaction score
"most of the LA built cars did not retain their build sheets."
Why Cuda hunter?

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
From what I understand there was a no trash policy in the LA plant. So the workers weren't allowed to put the build sheets anywhere in the car. Some did make it into the cars but not many. Very low percentage. unfortunate really. When purchasing and E car you can pretty much bet there will not be a build sheet.

Back