• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Which spindle is which?

bullet18

Reaction score
Alright, ill be the first to admit this is a dumb question but im rebuilding my suspension and cannot for the life of me tell which spindle is which(driver side/passenger side) does anyone know how to tell?

15218593119281012698112.jpg

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Good guess Matt! Mopar parts book lists left and right side knuckles/spindles as the same part number. And for the record, it's not a dumb question bullet18...

bullet18

Reaction score
Good guess Matt! Mopar parts book lists left and right side knuckles/spindles as the same part number. And for the record, it's not a dumb question bullet18...
Thanks! i could have sworn they were mirrored. I guess i should spend more time sleeping and less time working on my car.

quapman

Reaction score
Drum brake spindles are the same, disc spindles are oriented with the caliper to the front.

Adam

Reaction score
Speedway motors has a complete kit for $575... With 12 inch rotors you need 15 in wheels.

bullet18

Reaction score
Speedway motors has a complete kit for $575... With 12 inch rotors you need 15 in wheels.
As much as want disk brakes I really don't have that kinda budget. The drums will only be temporary while i get the rest of the car drivable. I still have to put the floor and engine in along with all of the wiring, brake lines and the fuel system so i cant spend much money on brakes alone right now.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
He’s just a high school kid. A lot of my early cars didn’t have disc brakes. Don’t drive like fool and everything will be fine till you can afford to upgrade.

bullet18

Reaction score
Yeah ive put so much time, money, and effort into this car im definetely going to baby it for a while. Plus its probably a better idea to ditch the uniroyal fastrack 195s that came on the car for some 235s at least.

Adam

Reaction score
I forgot he is so young.

bullet18, look up an article “Disc-o-tech, stop on a dime.” From Mopar Action magazine.

It shows what junkyard parts you need (spindles) and caliper & caliper brackets & 11 3/4 in rotors, from a Cordoba. It’s way low buck... I might have some extra spindles in storage; if I do you can have them free.

bullet18

Reaction score
I forgot he is so young.

bullet18, look up an article “Disc-o-tech, stop on a dime.” From Mopar Action magazine.

It shows what junkyard parts you need (spindles) and caliper & caliper brackets & 11 3/4 in rotors, from a Cordoba. It’s way low buck... I might have some extra spindles in storage; if I do you can have them free.
Thanks! Ive been looking into doing something similar to that using jeep grand Cherokee discs and fabricating caliper brackets. I took measurements at my local junkyard and the jeep rotors will bolt on perfectly to e body drum hubs and itll only set me back 54 bucks for 4 calipers and rotors on a half off day. I can weld ok after installing all those frame parts and ive got some 1/8th inch steel bar i could use for the caliper brackets and bolt them direct to the drum spindle. Ive heard of people doing similar things in chevelles with like viper or c7 calipers so i figure fitting smaller jeep calipers shouldnt be too bad. Obviously itll require some fabrication but only for the caliper brackets. Its a pretty sketchy idea and it sounds exactly like something id tell my kids i did as a teenager but it could work. Im just looking into it right now as im focusing on the rest of the cars problems. I wish there were junkyards with older cars up here but michigan weather rusts everything into the ground within afew years so all the junkyards only have cars from the 90s and early 2000s. That being said ill definetely look into that article.

Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
Drum brakes are not as bad as most people think the only real advantages disc brakes have over drums is their ability to get rid of heat and water therefore give more consistent braking. A properly set up drum brake system will work as well until they get hot or wet then they will start to fade. If you added power assist and got the front to rear proportioning correct and aren't too hard on them or submerse them in water the brakes would be ok. Some of the advantages include more lining surface area, self energizing and less drag when correctly adjusted. This is the reason they are still used on most trucks and trailers think about the braking energy needed to stop a fully loaded truck.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Thanks! Ive been looking into doing something similar to that using jeep grand Cherokee discs and fabricating caliper brackets. I took measurements at my local junkyard and the jeep rotors will bolt on perfectly to e body drum hubs and itll only set me back 54 bucks for 4 calipers and rotors on a half off day. I can weld ok after installing all those frame parts and ive got some 1/8th inch steel bar i could use for the caliper brackets and bolt them direct to the drum spindle. Ive heard of people doing similar things in chevelles with like viper or c7 calipers so i figure fitting smaller jeep calipers shouldnt be too bad. Obviously itll require some fabrication but only for the caliper brackets. Its a pretty sketchy idea and it sounds exactly like something id tell my kids i did as a teenager but it could work. Im just looking into it right now as im focusing on the rest of the cars problems. I wish there were junkyards with older cars up here but michigan weather rusts everything into the ground within afew years so all the junkyards only have cars from the 90s and early 2000s. That being said ill definetely look into that article.
This scares me, please don’t make your own caliper brackets, stick with the drums for now.
Where in Michigan? You know about the car show and swap meet in a month?
B3B0DD41-A598-48BB-96C1-10C7284C32A5.jpeg

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Hey bullet, I have a set of new aftermarket 1-piece front brake rotors for a 1970 Challenger you could have. Would love to see someone from the younger generation get his muscle car safely on the road!

bullet18

Reaction score
Hey bullet, I have a set of new aftermarket 1-piece front brake rotors for a 1970 Challenger you could have. Would love to see someone from the younger generation get his muscle car safely on the road!
Wow thanks! I dont know what i would do without all the help i get from you guys! Im definetely going to scratch the jeep brake idea which'll probably make my mom happy too. Ill gladly pay for any shipping costs.

Last edited:

bullet18

Reaction score
This scares me, please don’t make your own caliper brackets, stick with the drums for now.
Where in Michigan? You know about the car show and swap meet in a month?
View attachment 48424
I didnt know about that meet. I live just north of grand rapids so it should only take about 2 and a half hours to get there which is alot better than the drive to the nats. If nothing comes up ill be there.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Thumbs up to Grady and Adam . I sent Connor a set of headers I had kicking around and he paid the shipping. Seems like an outstanding young man trying build a decent car in a “rich” mans hobby. I know he’s not looking or asking for handouts. Just nice to help someone who appreciates it. Start a restoration thread so we can follow your progress

Back