• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Classic Industries Fenders?

aussiemark

Reaction score
Don't buy the cheaper panels I just tried to fit a CHL brand firewall and it is about an inch too short to join the floor and the same brand cowl is a bad fit to the firewall. Another problem is The firewall doesn't have the three studs to hold the driver's side vent. I bought these because AMD had no non air conditioner firewalls in stock when I ordered my panels and I needed to get them to my shipping guy in a hurry. You should try and find good original used panels where ever possible especially bolt on panels even if they require small repairs that way you know they will fit properly and you will keep the car more original. If you need new panels pay the money and get AMD at least they fit and have all the OEM features now I have to spend hours to sort this mess out and these panels weren't much cheaper then AMD anyway.

budascuda

Reaction score
Hey aussiemark,
Is there a noticeable difference in the thickness?

aussiemark

Reaction score
Yes it is noticeably thinner and lighter then the AMD panels the corner was bent and I straightened it easily just using my bare hand, the AMD panels need a hammer to straighten or you end up with a ripple.

budascuda

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. A friend of mine mentioned something about the thickness too. He used (by the client's request) impact resistant seam adhesive as they call it, in order to keep the seems tight and durable. He glued and clamped/riveted the panels together first and let it set, then spot welded the seams afterwords.
He marked the location of the spot welds to be, on the seams, then, he only put a bead of the glue in between those spots. Not a continuous bead! As you are supposed to provide collapsing regions so the sheet metal can crumple In case of collision, God forbid.
I inspected his work, it looked good and I don't think the welds can get a chance to separate due to mechanical work or vibration, even though the panels were thinner.
Sometimes you have to make do!
Good luck aussiemark.

AUSTA

Reaction score
There is an interesting book on this it seems a lot of new manufactures now source new parts panel,electrical ,mirrors etc from Taiwan Book is a tale of 2 sectors
Global Taiwan

budascuda

Reaction score

It did not really demystify things, Au contraire !

The ending;
"The quality is more at parity than perceived
"

That's Funny! , I would love to know what Mike Gary would say to that.
Some people think that if they talk like that they make it easy for everybody to believe what they say...

The write up;
From what it says in the article; I got the impression that the author wants the reader to believe that there is very little difference between any of the products available in the market ( hence the last sentence).
My experience and others' as well is that it's not true, there is a noticeable difference.
Also, as mentioned in the article, a business model can't be based on producing rejects ( even though in China that is not necessarily flawed thinking), the same is true for the business model that produces unnecessarly expensive products, the AMD is more expensive because of the thicker gauge metal as well as the inspection and verification process, that difference does not make it perfect but also it won't make it the same as the sheet metal that was ordered to taiwan and then later sub contracted to china (hence, chaiwan). That should be clear to see.

I thought the write up was deliberately biased.
That's my opinion, go ahead you can disagree with me NOW, but then you would be biased too!

quapman

Reaction score
Yeah, after reading that (twice!), I wasn't exactly less confused. I just bought a bunch of Goodmark (CHL), so as I use it, I'll try to chime in on how it fits. I'm well aware that it's a gauge thinner than AMD or Dynacorn.

Back