• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 A-66 Challenger Convertible

340challconvert

Reaction score
Finally pulled the 340 for the rebuild!

IMG_9677.jpg

IMG_9675.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Thank you all.
I have a relative of my sister in law who co-owns a machine shop in Garwood, NJ. I initially dropped off my new 340 designed Eddie heads to have them gone over. Somewhat expected, the exhaust guides were to tight and clearances were corrected. All other specs were fine.
I really enjoyed walking into this shop; it is a throw-back, old style facility that reminded me of the shops I used when I was a mechanic back in the early 70's for machine work. They have built some really dynamic engines including Mopars. They also build race motors for boats.
Check out some of their work!

Roger's Speed Shop

340challconvert

Reaction score
Finally, the 340 short block engine is completely rebuilt. Original block needed to be bored 30 over to square the bores with new Speed Pro Forged pistons installed with original rods.
All new bearings of course with the forged crank only needing to be polished. Used a Comp cam with similar specs to the stock 340 specs. I will add the edelbrock heads designed for the 340 and either the stock intake or an LD340 I have had for years. Stock AVS carb 4935S.

Rogers Speed Shop had this engine back to me in 6 weeks!

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

budascuda

Reaction score
Looking gooood !
Marine shops usually do a better job, at least thats my experience.
I don't think you'll add any lead to the gas but probably to your foot ! 😅

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
6 weeks that's not bad either way. So it's Christmas in May. I know you want to tear into it. Very more than likely they did an excellent job. Before I would go slamming it together. Just do a visual inspection of the rear oil gallery plugs and cam plug. See if they are sealed. Any thing else can be accessed when together. Nothing more disappointing to have leak there. I think you know this. :thumbsup:

340challconvert

Reaction score
The heads also came with manganese bronze guides with 3 angle hardened valve seats. Had to have the new head's valve guides reworked a little. Seems typical that they are manufactured with the guides too tight, especially on the exhaust side.

budascuda

Reaction score
Tight valve guides was something the machine shop caught or something you were already aware of ?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Tight valve guides was something the machine shop caught or something you were already aware of ?
Edelbrock heads are known for potentially tight valve guides, made in the USA but some units measure out ok and some are tight. A number of people recommended having the heads gone over by my machinist which I thought was prudent! Usually it is the exhaust valves with this issue since they tend to heat up and expand from the exhaust. In my case both intake and exhaust guides needed some minimal work!

340challconvert

Reaction score
Finally removed the exhaust system that was on my A66 since 1979 with the custom x pipe that was welded in.
I am really surprised at how solid the head pipes still were; I had to cut them off with a recip saw.
Full of acorns. Exhaust must have been a mouse haven for a while

IMG_4629.jpg

Original head pipes with cross over.jpg

budascuda

Reaction score
Finally removed the exhaust system that was on my A66 since 1979 with the custom x pipe that was welded in.
I am really surprised at how solid the head pipes still were; I had to cut them off with a recip saw.
Full of acorns. Exhaust must have been a mouse
More classic cars have been destroyed by mice than by man !

340challconvert

Reaction score
Cleaning up the underside of the floor pan and hump area with the engine and trans out of the car to be primed/painted for the reinstall. Dirty work; still can see the factory primer and some Y1 overspray from when the car was new!

;topic=1154.0;attach=218781;image

;topic=1154.0;attach=218783;image

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

Back