• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1972 cuda

EMCD

Reaction score
I'm buying my first muscle car tomorrow, a 1972 cuda that has been in my buddy's family since new. It's been a colorado car for all it's life and has 101k on a 340. it has rust-through on the rear qrts behind the tires and the paint is fried, but it's all there. It hasn't started in 5 years. What do I need to do to get it running without hurting the engine?

burntorange70

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO! Congrats on your new car. Make sure all the fluids are toped off and it has a good battery and some gas. Then go from there if it does not start. IE does it have spark and is it getting fuel?

Good luck to you.

3406pk

Reaction score
Good idea to remove spark plugs and squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil in cylinders (or whatever magic oil you prefer). Then crank engine over without spark plugs until you get oil pressure. Then if everything seems ok, put in plugs and start it. It has worked good for me.

EMCD

Reaction score
thanks. I towed it home and gas was leaking out of the front end. It stopped when the angle of the car was dropped, but it was still a bit of a concern. How long do I crank the motor over for? Should i drain the oil and coolant?

ramenth

Reaction score
If you can, see if you can roll the engine over with a breaker bar and socket placed on the crank bolt just to be sure there's no tight spots. As was suggested do this after you've pulled the plugs and put a little Marvel or Dexron in the cylinders.

After sitting for five years, an oil and coolant change wouldn't be a bad idea. After you get it started. Let the oil and water pumps do their jobs and circulate some to get whatever sludge and deposits worked through. A back flush on the coolant system isn't a bad idea either.

As for getting how long to crank on it, I never go more than 10-15 seconds at a time. Bad things can happen to the starter if you keep grinding on it.

Welcome aboard!

EMCD

Reaction score
thanks man. i have a good garage 1/2 block away from me. they get it running for about $300. He said the fuel tank and lines will need to be "boiled". not sure how much that will run me. what do you think a fair estimate to drain and refill all the fuilds, get the car running, rebuild the carb and flush the gas and fuel lines would run? I used to live in up state ny. good place..

Back