• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 No Dipstick Hole

Challie 70

Reaction score
The 340 in my 70 Challenger has no dipstick hole. It looks as if it has never been drilled for one. Was trying to figure out what block it was, possibly a replacement block? The casting # is 2780930 340-2. I've read where the X blocks had no provision for a dipstick hole but mine has no X cast in the front.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this...

Thanks

DetMatt1

Reaction score
You'll need to post some pics, none of that makes any sense. NEVER heard of an engine without a dipstick and the last 340 was cast in `73. Never heard of an X block(but that doesn't mean they didn't make them). If this is the original engine out of your `70 it would have been cast between middle of `69 to mid `70 and would have X heads.

Challie 70

Reaction score
Also just noticed the heads and oil pan have orange paint beneath the grey paint but the block does not. Couldn't get a good pic of the where the dipstick tube would go, there is a boss there but no hole.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Challie 70

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the date casting. Thinking it must be a replacement block of some sort, didn't know if anybody had any experience with mopar replacement blocks or knew any specs on them...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Challie 70

Reaction score
I thought maybe the same thing, but the more I scrubbed and looked at it, it looked like an 8. Doesn't that stamping under the drivers head have something to do with the assembly date? I searched for info on that but nothing I found made any sense in regards to what mine looks like... the first 2 characters being 3M.
I looked for the vin pad today on the pass. side of block but saw nothing. Will do some more looking tomorrow.
Thanks.

C O D Y

Reaction score
The VIN stamped on the pad will tell you everything you need to know. As for the number stamped under the head, I'm not sure what that is.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Very interesting. That casting date has another # that you cant see to the right of the head of the screw behind the exhaust. That doesn't explain the botched second # of the year which I'm thinking has got to be a 2 or a 3. CODY is right, the vin would be a tell all. Can't wait to see what else you can find on it.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I wonder if some of the motorhome / truck blocks had the dipstick going into the oilpan directly ?

Challie 70

Reaction score
Solved part of the mystery, I think. Inspecting where the dipstick hole should be in the sunlight it looks as if someone may have JB welded over it to plug it. Still tryin' to make sense of the funky engine assy. date stamping under the drivers head.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Can you see if there is a large cast X next to the front an back spark plug holes or is it a J?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
So that meens they're early heads, I think they switched to the J casting in '71.

Back