• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 challenger lighting help needed

roadrunner

Reaction score
I'm trying to bring my challenger back from the dead; it was put away 20+ years ago, and needs EVERYTHING gone through. I'm currently struggling with some lighting issues. I have installed a new dash harness, rear light harness, front light harness and engine harness. I have replaced all light bulbs as well. Almost everything is now working... Except for the dash lights and the front left parking light. When I turn on the parking lights or headlights, my left turn indicator on the dash lights up. The turn signals all still work as they should. When I remove the left front parking light / turn signal bulb, that dash light goes out. Also, none of the dash / console lights powered by the orange wire circuit work, regardless of the position of my dimmer switch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bill

Reaction score
I'm not an auto mechanic but I do work with electric control circuitry. I find that when things start sounding or working weird it usually winds up having something to do with a marginal or bad ground connection.

74 challenger

Reaction score
Most likely your dimmer switch needs to be rebuilt. This was my problem on my challenger. If your ground is good on the dash you could try to bypass the switch to see if your switch is bad. Slotts [email protected] is a member here and alot of people will vouch for him.Jim has rebuilt all of my switches for me.HE IS A GREAT GUY Also check all conections also the bulkhead and grease them all.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
definatly a ground issue with the front left light if the indicatoer light is on in the dash .
I agree that the dimmer is probably bad , just jumping the 2 wires will give the dash light full power

roadrunner

Reaction score
Thanks. Fixed the parking light by improving the grounding of that lamp housing. I haven't had a chance to do more trouble shooting around the panel dimmer switch yet, but thanks for the tips.

moparleo

Reaction score
A common problem on older Mopars, poor grounds. So if you haven't done it yet, start at the back and work your way forward on all wiring connections and internal bulb socket connections. Use high quality bulbs, no import stuff, unless you go with nickel plated European bulbs. Never corrode. Use dielectric/ silicone grease on all connections when cleaned. You will find that an eraser for ink pens has a grit mixed with the rubber and does a good job on cleaning copper contacts. Back in the day of slot cars and ho scale trains, that is how you cleaned the tracks when they got electrical corrosion.

Back