• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger R/T Project

MS70RT

Reaction score
8D14B157-438C-486B-BFB7-E35F12F627BD.jpeg
Greetings, Newbie here.. First Gen Camaro guy here but love the 70 Challenger/cuda’s. Had a 70 RT Conv back in the 70’s and swore i’d Have another some day. I’m starting a full body restoration. New floors and torsion crossmember installed. Have quarters to do next. Mine is Burnt Orange car, interior too. Not sure what paint to buy. Any suggestions? PPG? Etc. want a good 2 stage paint. Also is there a good interior paint/Dye? SEM? I hope to get to painting the body as soon as things warm up here in NH. Also, I have a new in the box shaker hood and wondering if I should go that route or get the original hood. Have #’s matching engine and rear end. Thoughts? Mike

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! My favorite color combo for a Challenger.:thumbsup:

Adam

Reaction score
SPI clear gets my vote. It is very forgiving and lays down great! I used Matrix base and have no complaints.

Of course epoxy prime first, then poly prime, wet sand the poly before base coat and it will be as smooth as can be...

MS70RT

Reaction score
Few pics just getting started. Everything stripped down now, now to repair and start the blasting, cleaning and replacing.

4AB6DF6D-1721-418F-991B-D098675AB3C0.jpeg

833CE04F-ADA8-47E0-9189-0C3EE035023A.jpeg

04320FA2-1F7E-4FE0-B002-000C05D33394.jpeg

E2F4DD48-0ED1-46AF-83A7-BDA7F9465E7D.jpeg

EB195767-405E-4AF1-9D98-17BBC383FBFB.jpeg

52DB6524-D7D6-460F-9833-4BAF34A7BB97.jpeg

E63443B6-80F2-45F4-AFE0-959235EE3138.jpeg

quapman

Reaction score
Shaker hoods are cool, but a huge pain in the ass when you have to work on the car.

MS70RT

Reaction score
SPI clear gets my vote. It is very forgiving and lays down great! I used Matrix base and have no complaints.

Of course epoxy prime first, then poly prime, wet sand the poly before base coat and it will be as smooth as can be...
Thanks, would you know the code for the burnt orange metallic? I’ll have to look for info on Matrix. I’ve only used PPG, old DuPont or more recently House of Kolor.(black which came out great on my 77 TA Bandit)

Adam

Reaction score
The original paint code is FK5, confirmed by the fender tag, lower left corner, 2nd up. Any good paint supplier should be able to match it. Although I have never sprayed that color I have heard it is difficult to match the original paint exactly. On the show Graveyard Cars I believe Mark Worman discusses a solution for this, but I don’t remember what it was. Maybe someone here can chime in...

Adam

Reaction score
That car has a lot of options! I would consider a single stage paint for the dash frame as a clear coat would probably be too shiny against the pad and trim. I would also consider painting the steering column the same as the dash frame, whatever color that is. I had a B5 Blue Cuda with a blue column and it looked sharp. Same goes for red interior cars that I’ve seen... where a black column just doesn’t quite cut it.... my 2 cents.

MS70RT

Reaction score
The original paint code is FK5, confirmed by the fender tag, lower left corner, 2nd up. Any good paint supplier should be able to match it. Although I have never sprayed that color I have heard it is difficult to match the original paint exactly. On the show Graveyard Cars I believe Mark Worman discusses a solution for this, but I don’t remember what it was. Maybe someone here can chime in...

MS70RT

Reaction score
In my case there isn’t anything to match since it all needs to be done.
I’ll have to investigate further.. I have PPG/ditzler code as well as DuPont however the code for PPG indicates single stage and DuPont way too expensive... however the chroma base I’ve used in the past is pretty great! Still couple mos work away so plenty of time. Tks for the feedback.

quapman

Reaction score
All the metallic colors are going to be mixed wrong without a scan of a correct panel or old chip. Something happened between the 70s and now and the formulas don't work. It may have to do with the flake portion in paint now being plastic. PPG seems to come closest, but is insanely priced.

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from mid Michigan. Nice work on your Challenger so far. It will be a really great looking car when done. Keep us posted on your progress.

Back