• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger Restoration

moparmofo

Reaction score
I picked up this car about 5 months ago. Its a 1970 challenger RT U code. from the looks of it when i got it it was all original nothing was missing other then the AC parts. from what was told to me the car was sitting since 1979 i got back to the shop Changed the oil ran a fule line and it fired right up. im doing a full restoration to as close to stock as i can get it. its go mango with burnt orange interior and white vinyl top, AM 8track, rimblow, and AC.
So far ive disasseneled the car sent it out for sand blasting had.
replaced the trunk floor, trunk extensions, wheel well, dutchmen, floopan

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

22.jpg

challenger 1.jpg

challenger 2.jpg

challenger 3.jpg

challenger 4.jpg

challenger 5.jpg

challenger 6.jpg

Challenger 7.jpg

photo (3).jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Looks like you have a good start. I am taking a Challenger a part right now. Let me know if you need anything. The rear inner structure is good on my car.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Great looking project, love the color combo and ac to boot! My '70 project has the FK5 interior too. A one year only offering that I have really grown to like.

ramenth

Reaction score
Looks like a fun project! Good color combo, enough left to make it worth bringing it back to life, and "U" code to boot!

moparleo

Reaction score
Great looking project. It looks like you know a little about sheetmetal. We love projects, so keep the pictures coming and don't hesitate to pick our members brains with any questions you might have. Probably a thousand years of experience on Mopars here between all of our members. A lot have either finished or are in the process of completeing their own restos.
Good luck, keep her going.

moparmofo

Reaction score
Thanks guys. i will be restoring my grille if you guys have any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
some new pics i ripped the old floorpan out and in the process of putting in a new one. engine compartment has been body worked and the instrument cluster has been all restored thru www.westvalleyinstruments.com real nice guy there. hes done a few of my cars already. engine compartment.jpgfloor pan.jpgfloorpan.jpggauges.jpg

engine compartment.jpg

floor pan.jpg

floorpan.jpg

gauges.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Looking at this thread just makes mr want to keep my '70 all that much more!

moparmofo

Reaction score
So I got the new quarter on and the floorpan is in. It's moving forward nicely. I plan on hanging the doors this week once the hinges are rebuild image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

moparmofo

Reaction score
Got the engine started After having it towed over to the shop I believe it was sitting in storage since 1979

[video=youtube_share;wIdyjCkEmTA]http://youtu.be/wIdyjCkEmTA[/video]

moparmofo

Reaction score
All I did was change the oil and Run a fuel line to a gas tank and it fired right up

moparmofo

Reaction score
Some more progress on the metal work. I'm hoping to have it primered by the new yearimage.jpg

image.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I think I need you to come up to Detroit for a couple weeks, I'd like to be getting my '70 ready for primer by the new year!

moparmofo

Reaction score
Updates. Body work has slowed down a bit. Doors are all lined up lining up the trunk and good this week. Get it all primered then get it up on the lift get the remaining undercoating off so I can re-spray it before they lay the gomango on. I didimage.jpgimage.jpg however manage to restore my grille this week. I grinded off all the rivets had all three prices polished tapes off the Pieces I wanted to stay polished Scotch-Brite the aluminum and shot it with trim black. I think it came out pretty goodimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

moparmofo

Reaction score
Cars been primered and blocked need to primer 1 more time. Hoping to have it ready for paint next weekimage.jpg

image.jpg

Back