• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 challenger rt resto

1ownerCuda

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum! Restoring 70 challenger rt. Moving along not a #s car. Owned it for 18 years and always indoors. Car came with a 400 auto on column ran and drove missing nothing with great trim. Also came with a hp1 440 which needed rebuilding and is the motor that was just rebuilt and going in.Needed quarters, trunk floor and front fenders. All amd metal work done and painted g2 frosty green poly. New fresh 440 did 540 on the dyno on pump gas. Motor and new silver sport tremec 5 speed complete kit are onsite and going in soon. New tank, all lines complete poly front end rebuilt with hotchkis t bars , upper arms sway bars drilled, slotted rotors. Looking to get the rally dash rebuilt which is in great shape other then pad. Thinking about aftermarket gauge upgrade along with a definite complete wiring kit, would love some input on the dash resto and which wire kit is best
C6E56834-CECA-4ABF-AFF8-77BF82C8F66F.jpeg
A31CE33E-F8FC-4F1D-BD49-2A6ECE54B118.jpeg
6DAE84D5-A505-4F97-99B7-8F1025A5F95C.jpeg

81F8DC72-9926-478D-AC7A-84FCF11D3299.jpeg

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan!
Beautiful paint:thumbsup:.

These two vendors seem to get high marks on their quality. Just Dashes for the dash pad and M&H for wiring harnesses.

WDO72

Reaction score
Welcome from Northern California! Cool color! Looks like it's really coming along. Have fun!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome !
M&H is the best for factory replacement , Evans is Good also .
If you are going custom wiring American Auto wire is good but it is a ton of work to redo everything compared to the plug in replacements above .

FY1TopBanana

Reaction score
I'm curious, does Silver Sport Tremec kit give you floor cutting templates?
(I've read Silver Sport is mostly Keisler with new ownership.)
I did American Powertrain TKO600 "Perfect Fit" behind my gen 2 hemi. AP (and I think Keisler b4 them) used same trans mount crossmember and had same E body tunnel clearance problems. Even after their recommended cutting and patching, I could never get the TKO up high enough to have a decent pinion angle. Trans sat 6.5 deg down all the way up in the tunnel. Would have had to cut out the floor pan arch to raise it any higher. Needed a crazy 3rd member pinion setup to match. At 6.5 down the passenger header interfered with the AlterKtion engine mount stand too. Interesting the Hurst TKO kit in my Demon had you hack out the floor pan arch. Their crossmember is beefed to replace the arch structural function. They don't hide the need for tunnel fab work.

I did all of this waiting for the Passon 5 speed years back. I gave up on the 5 speed from my place in line and bought the 833 overdrive. At least I knew it would fit.

YMMV. Love the G2 green.

Last edited:

1ownerCuda

Reaction score
I did American Powertrain TKO600 "Perfect Fit" behind my gen 2 hemi. AP (and I think Keisler b4 them) used same trans mount crossmember and had same E body tunnel clearance problems. Even after their recommended cutting and patching, I could never get the TKO up high enough to have a decent pinion angle. Trans sat 6.5 deg down all the way up in the tunnel. Would have had to cut out the floor pan arch to raise it any higher. Needed a crazy 3rd member pinion setup to match. At 6.5 down the passenger header interfered with the AlterKtion engine mount stand too. Interesting the Hurst TKO kit in my Demon had you hack out the floor pan arch. Their crossmember is beefed to replace the arch structural function. They don't hide the need for tunnel fab work.

I did all of this waiting for the Passon 5 speed years back. I gave up on the 5 speed from my place in line and bought the 833 overdrive. At least I knew it would fit.

YMMV. Love the G2 green

YMMV. Love the G2 green.
I purchased the tremec tkx 5 speed complete kit and was told that no floor work would be needed as this unit is smaller then the tko 5 speed kit has not been installed yet so I hope all goes well, silver sport installed this same unit in t a Cuda and challenger and said no problem. After install is complete they will send driveshaft after a correct measurement is taken

FY1TopBanana

Reaction score
Got it. Yeh the TKX is sort of T5 form factor. Main case shorter and tail housing way different profile than TKO.
Look forward to the install notes and pics.
Would be nice to see some perfect fit claim actually work out.

Last edited:
Back