• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 Challenger restoration

moparleo

Reaction score
That is the best way. I am curious how the crank would get that far out of balance since a small amount of metal is being removed from the centerline of the crank. As you know the further from the center of a spinning object you go, the greater the effect of centrifugal force. Probably why you don't balance camshafts. When he is done, can you tell us how far out the balance was after the machine work? Oh, and was it balanced before you installed it? He may also want the flywheel.

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
Got the engine to the machine shop, ordered my bell housing, and as soon as I get the engine back, they are both going into the car. I don't care if I have to stay up all night to do it.

a68postcar

Reaction score
ambitious, i like it.
Got the engine to the machine shop, ordered my bell housing, and as soon as I get the engine back, they are both going into the car. I don't care if I have to stay up all night to do it.

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
Just got bad news. The race shop that did the engine did a poor job. Alot of the bolts were not tightened to torque specs, and the machine shop, found so many other things wrong. The race shop that rebuilt it is no longer in business, so now I have to have the new shop, tear it all down and start over. There shouldn't be any machine work, other than the crank, and all the internals are brand new, so they shouldn't need to be replaced. So my $1500 newly rebuilt 440 just turned into a $4000+ brand new 440 engine. Now I see how guys can have $30k wrapped up in their cars, and I have done all the work myself so far, with the exception of the engine. Man, looks like the duster and satellite will have to wait a few more years.

sdyer233

Reaction score
sad to hear. but just keep your eyes on the prize, in the end it will all be worth it and all of these snags will be looked at as funny memories when youre out having a cold one with the guys! cant wait to see how this turns out

HemiMeech

Reaction score
Looking good aside the set backs all builds have them in one form or another. Nice work!

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
Got the engine back and new bellhousing. Here are the pics of when it went into the car. photo-12.jpgView attachment 12414

photo-12.jpg

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
Glad to hear that you got the engine and tranny back in the car. Sometimes it is two steps backward and one step forward. Did you post more than one pic, only one came thru?

jimk23

Reaction score
Glad to see you have got the engine back in. Keep the faith on getting it 100% restored. Beautiful '71.

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
I know it's been awhile, but I have made a little progress on the 71 lately. I finally got the engine in her, but I do have to pull the trans one more time, cause I have the wrong clutch fork installed. I got all brand new stainless steel exhaust put on and the hood is painted and installed. In a couple weeks, I will be getting it ready to be fired up. photo 2-1.jpgphoto 1-1.jpgtwins.jpgwheels.JPGwheels2.jpgwheels3.jpg

photo 2-1.jpg

photo 1-1.jpg

twins.jpg

wheels.JPG

wheels2.jpg

wheels3.jpg

Adam

Reaction score
That color and radiator will really show thru the grill; I know you hate to cover up the new paint but you should blackout that front end... IMO. Everything else looks great; you do nice work!

Last edited:

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
Well it has been a few years since I posted any progress on my 71 challenger build. I ended up finishing the car. I went a slightly different route, and changed over to a more pro-touring look. 18" riddlers, dakota digital dash, etc. Here are some pics of it finished. I have been to 6 shows with it in the area and have 6 trophies, 3 Best in Show awards, 3 1st place in my class.

71challenger3.JPG

71challenger2.JPG

71challenger5.JPG

71challenger4.JPG

71challenger6.JPG

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Looks great! Is that the digital dash you speak of in the interior pic? Congrats on the awards, well deserved!

moparlee

Reaction score
You did a nice job on finishing up your 71 and your awards reflect it! Must be fun finally getting it on the road and enjoying the ride.

Back