• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

'73 Challenger Rallye Restoration

Bill

Reaction score
Need guidence. My flywheel has stress cracks. Need a new or used one for my 340.

Ray

Reaction score
You're doing a fine job, keep up the good work.

moparleo

Reaction score
Bill, Almost all flywheels have surface cracks. You should check with the local parts houses in your area to see if they sell reconditioned flywheels. Most do and they should cost around $100.-125. exchange. These have been resurfaced, and mag checked for cracks.
Can't beat that deal. Good luck , you are almost there.

Bill

Reaction score
Thanks again Leo. My motor guy is pretty well respected in my area and has a lot of experience. I saw the flywheel and it looks pretty bad. I will try my local parts house. Hard to find time to work on Challenger during the summer time with all the other stuff going on around the house and a full time job. I do need to get it painted before it starts to get too cold outside. I really do not have a conditioned paint booth area to paint it so I will be relying on the outside air temp wo be within the specifications required by the paint manufacture. I was able to epoxy prime the underside of the hood today to get ready for some Alpine White single stage.
Happy 4th everyone!

Bill

Reaction score
Epoxy primed and 3 coats of Alpine white single stage on underside of hood.
012.jpg016.jpg

012.jpg

016.jpg

Bill

Reaction score
Bill, Almost all flywheels have surface cracks. You should check with the local parts houses in your area to see if they sell reconditioned flywheels. Most do and they should cost around $100.-125. exchange. These have been resurfaced, and mag checked for cracks.
Can't beat that deal. Good luck , you are almost there.

My motor guy sent the new internal balanced flywheel that I got from JEGS out with the crank to be balanced. The place that does the balancing said it was a little tricky but they were able to get it done. Motor guy should get it back early next week and start to be able to build everything up. He was showing me one of the connecting rods had a copper coating on it. Pretty interesting story as to why they did that copper coating at the factory. We purchased a new oil pan. I have two oil pans but they are both pretty well dented up and have some thin rust areas. Purchased a new water pump and fuel pump as well. Paint may not happen till springtime next year. Motor, interior,wiring (would like to do ISIS power system) will be good winter time projects.
Q. We are assuming the original color of the motor is blue for a 1973 340? It looks like someone painted orange over the blue on the oil pan. Is there a name for that color blue Chrysler originally painted on the motor?
Q. I would like to put the battery in the trunk. I was thinking of routing the wire from the trunk to the engine area through some PVC plastic or steel pipe to protect it from chaffing. Anyone ever done this?

Bill

Reaction score
Leo
You are an amazing individual. EMT makes a lot of sense. Looks like blue is the color to use.
Thank you. I will get back to work on your car as soon as possible. lol
Bill (Vermont)

Bill

Reaction score
My motor builder has the crank and flywheel back from the shop that machined and balanced everything. He said everything looks “very” spot on except one thing. He is not getting the clearance he wants between the main bearings and the crank. The bearings are .010 under and he is measuring between .001 and .0015 clearance. He has tried Seal Power p# 4923 MA .010 bearings and Clevite MS-963P .010 bearings. He is not comfortable with this gap. He thinks it should be larger .002 to .0025. He is a great guy and realizes there is a problem and stopped to get it figured out instead of just throwing it together and sending me on my way. Maybe suggestions of a different brand bearings to try? Anyone else run into this. I'm guessing that the crank was not turned down enough?? Motor is a 1974 340. Any help would be great!

Bill

Reaction score
We got the clearance thing figured out.
013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
Bill, since you've turned this into a restoration thread, do you want me to move it into the restoration forum?

Bill

Reaction score
Yes please and thank you. I wanted to do that but could not figure it out. I.R. compooter dumb.
Thanks Robert!
Bill, since you've turned this into a restoration thread, do you want me to move it into the restoration forum?

ramenth

Reaction score
Yes please and thank you. I wanted to do that but could not figure it out. I.R. compooter dumb.
Thanks Robert!

Done.

If you want to re-title it, go to advanced and that will allow you to edit the title. If you can't figure it out, PM me and I'll change it for you.

Back