• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Cuda rust bucket, too far gone, but why not.

Quiny

Reaction score
Finished the Frame connectors, not really pretty with a flux core welder but not bad. I have been jumping around a bit with this resto but I try to work on things that I have time to finish. I made sure to weld in bracing before I started disassembling all the sheet metal. What I found was since my car was hit pretty badly that most new sheet metal required that I remove the bracing at times to achieve the dimensions that this website and the original manual have documented as correct. So far so good, till now. I figured I would install the jack brackets in the drivers side trunk extension. I needed the quarter panel installed on that side to make sure there was no interference issues. I have test fitted both quarters at least 10 times in the past, each time less and less issues until perfect. This time the quarter didn't fit at all, I was very discouraged. After a little measuring it seems that the top of the door pillars have "splayed". I should have left the bracing in place. I was able to correct for the problem, it required a little force and a couple of old chain falls. Once I got things back in line the quarter dropped right into place. I am very out of my wheelhouse with bodywork. I am looking forward to when I am working on the drive line.

Attachments

• splay1.jpg
    splay1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 114
  • splay2.jpg
    splay2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 126
  • splay3.jpg
    splay3.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 114
  • splay4.jpg
    splay4.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 117

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Looks like your roof structure is intact. there is a notch on the front and rear of the roof.put a string line on the rear shelf hole and pull to the center of the core support.This a good reference point to check from. with the car level by checking off the top of the rockers.with a 6' level and a piece of 2x4 on the rockers. check your level with an other level that their reading the same also turn 180 to check. with string line pulled drop a plumb bob from the notch to string line you will see what might good or be out. You may have already established it.

20220516_171649.jpg

challenger rear check points.png

Last edited:

Quiny

Reaction score
Looks like your roof structure is intact. there is a notch on the front and rear of the roof.put a string line on the rear shelf hole and pull to the center of the core support.This a good reference point to check from. with the car level by checking off the top of the rockers.with a 6' level and a piece of 2x4 on the rockers. check your level with an other level that their reading the same also turn 180 to check. with string line pulled drop a plumb bob from the notch to string line you will see what might good or be out. You may have already established it.

View attachment 97172

View attachment 97173
That was some great advice! I pulled I piece of blue paracord very tight and got a great center line. I was able to get the dimensions perfect. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_4759.JPG
    IMG_4759.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4760.JPG
    IMG_4760.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 109

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Think 3D. You also can pull a string font to back.bottom of core support to rear bumper panel. use center of k frame hole as a point. or put a nail on your jig.quick and cheap and easy to apply. I use masonry sting strong and thin. Or buy a laser level for other applications. A cheap one would be fine. a straight line is a straight line.

20180623_204559.jpg

20161031_6048.JPG

Last edited:

Quiny

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help with the centerline measurements, it really helped a lot. I have not had a lot of time to work on the car but I did have enough time to test the fit the quarters and the dutchman panel (under the rear glass) . I ordered the roof skin with both front fenders in the hopes that the packaging would protect the sheet metal from getting damaged. It seemed to work because there were no dents in the AMD roof skin. The quarters, dutchman and roof, fit really well with very little adjustment. I did not weld anything in place yet but it seems that the AMD stuff is pretty good. I still need to fit the drip rails, I think that will go well. I am still 3 - 4 years away from completion but it seems closer with the nice fit of everything.

left_a_pillar_fit.JPG

left_sail_panel_fit.JPG

right_A_pillar_fit.JPG

right_sail_panel_fit.JPG

test_fit_roof.JPG

Quiny

Reaction score
So I am going with the Vintage Air solution for heat and AC. Since it is months to receive an order, I figured I would look at the instructions. I made a block off for the right side air intake. I didn't want it to fill with rain water that would never be drained.

right_side_vent_block.JPG

right_side_vent_block_cover.JPG

right_side_ventblock1.JPG

Quiny

Reaction score
Test fitting the roof skin, on and off about 4 times now. Front and rear seam are very good. I was having trouble with the drip rails. I couldn't get the gaps even, I needed to flex the front drip rail more than it would allow. I ended up putting a perpendicular slit about every 2 inches along the mounting surface. That seemed to make all the difference.

drip1.jpg

drip2.jpg

drip3.jpg

drip4.jpg

drip5.jpg

Quiny

Reaction score
I figured I would weld the rear quarters permanently in this morning. I was about to start welding when I remembered reading in these forums to always check door gaps and alignment before welding the quarter in permanent. I haven't had the doors on since I removed them a year ago. Door alignment, style lines and gaps look pretty good. I think I will leave the door pillar seam un-welded just in case I need to make minor changes. There is one small area that might need tweaking.
door1.JPG
door2.JPG
door3.JPG
door4.JPG
door5.JPG

Quiny

Reaction score
Working on the tail panel a bit, in and out, in and out and repeat. Had to modify the little trim pieces just a bit to get them to fit flat and flush.
tail1.JPG

tail2.JPG

Back