• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Ball Joint Help

challenger440

Reaction score
I just bought some new ball joints and had them installed into my removed upper control arms. When I got them back together I noticed that one of the ball joints is super loose. I dont want to install a bad ball joint...how do I tell? I thought they were supposed to be very tight and not move around freely.

I havent greased them or done anything to them yet other than have them screwed into the control arm.

Any help is appreciated!

moparleo

Reaction score
If you paid to have it done professionaly, take it back. The hole in the upper control arm may be worn oversized and a new ball joint can't be screwed down any tighter. If thats the case, then you will need a replacement for that control arm. If the ball joint part with the grease fitting is screwed down tight and you have play in the ball joint itself where it bolts to the spindle, It is junk and needs to be replaced You should have some sort of warranty from the parts store or the installer. Remember to use high quality parts like Moog, TRW... no plain box Chinese junk. Also, the obviuos advise to torque the nut to spec and always use a new cotter pin. Good luck.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I assume it is tight in the arm & the ball is loose in the socket in which case the ball joint is bad for some reason , is it a high quality part ?

challenger440

Reaction score
It is tight in the arm but the ball is loose in the socket. It doesnt cluck around but it definitely moves freely left to right (and all around). These are new Moog ball joints bought from Rock Auto. I remember any other joint I've bought before being incredibly rigid and I guess I was hoping against hope for a magic answer that would let me just instal these things already. I cant imagine it doing its job very well in its current condition though.

Thank you both for your response and helping me out. I'll try to get them replaced through Rock Auto. I think the lower ball joints felt loose too...darn.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Always a bummer when that happens and suprising out of a Moog part. Hopefully you will have no problems getting them replaced.

challenger440

Reaction score
no probelms getting them replaced from rock auto. they were very nice. i did find another issue though....the washer and nut for one of the replacement ball joints was the wrong size. I dont know if they buy surplus stuff or what but seems like a lot of issues for such a simple order. maybe a moog issue, i dunno. all fixed though! i have to say that rock auto was very easy to deal with. they didnt even ask for the bad ones back, they just sent new ones no charge.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Most Moog ball joints have a spacer washer as sometimes the castle nut is too short for the cotter pin height , Glad you got it sorted out , I have been ordering all of the parts I need from Rock Auto since I have been in Panama & the parts have always been correct & shipped fast

moparleo

Reaction score
Learn something everyday. I haven't needed ball joints for over 10 years, but I guess I don't drive my Challenger that much anymore. Interesting. A spacer for the castlenut. Maybe they should send the proper sized castlenut with the parts.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
I bought all new Moog ball joints and tie rod ends from RockAuto only problem I had was one tie rod end was completly different and looked to be of lesser quality. I can`t remember if it was in a Moog box or not at any rate they sent out the correct one and never wanted the other one back. Also had the wrong radiator sent to me on another occasion the right part number on the box but wrong radiator inside, again they made it right quickly. Excellent customer service in my opinion and I buy from them as long as I can wait for the parts to arrive from the fed-ex man.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
well they may use the same ball joint on a variety of applications so maybe where the ball joint goes through the spindle is taller on some spindles

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
Sounds like they get a lot of practice with their customer service. Too bad they are not excellent at sending correct parts. Just reading your experiences. Wrong or bad parts but excellent cutomer service. Hmmm
What other applications do the lower ball joints have? Sounds weak

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
well given the fact that you can use FMJ & A bady Dart spindles on E bodys the ball joints bolt up to any of those applications so it would make sense that would all use the same lower ball joints as well but would use different lower control arms as they had the tranverse Torsion bars .

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
same thing with the uppers , I just did not read back far enough to know which he was working on , there are 3 threaded ball joints used , the small A body , the middle B & E body & the large C body & truck joint so those have even more applications & may need a longer stud for some of the spindles

challenger440

Reaction score
You're right, i'm not using a washer on these. Either way the castle nut and zerk fitting were wrong. Castle nut is easy but couldnt seem to find thread cutting fittings locally. Matters none at this point though....when I got replacements my mechanic buddy did me a "favor" & torqued my uppper ball joints in for me.....upside down in the arm. When I removed them and put them back in the right way, the arms wouldnt take the full torque....so they're paperweights now. Sweet. Decided it may be a good time to upgrade anyways and am ordering the Hotchkis UCA's and some other goodies. Will try to turn things into a positive. I just want this thing on the ground already!

Last edited:

challenger440

Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning Magnum Force. Looks like a good place for drop spindles if I need to go that way. Looks to be lots of other cool stuff too. I felt comfortable with Hotchkis and liked the way they marketed everything. Made it easy for a guy like me to easily SEE what my results will be by using their product. While on the subject, I had a great talk with Dick at Firm Feel too (AFTER I bought most of the Hotchkis stuff). They seem like great people and will look to support them wherever makes sense.

Back