• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

building a stock looking 318 with some hp!

drewkins

Reaction score
Was wondering what would be advised to building a stock looking 318 but that would put some life back into it. I will be putting an LD4B with a carb to start but as far as cam and head/valve work done? would like it to be a good solid build. its a 70 318 with stock everything right now.

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
If you are going that far with your build, you are better off starting with a 360. Just like the small block Chevy, Mopar's LA series of small blocks looks the same externally. 318, 340, 360 are all the same on the outside. Most of todays aftermarket parts are for the 5.9 aka 360. Much more potential HP for the same money on parts and labor.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It depends on what you have to spend and what you are going to do with the car. I used to feel the 360 was best until my neighbor put a 318 stroked to a 390 in his 64 Cuda. His 390 has port fuel injection and it snaps like the throttle of a good motorcycle; yet gets decent mileage. If he breaks the motor; he can get another block for $50. I would first figure out what you want to do with the car. Then you will know what engine will be best for your application.

moparleo

Reaction score
The mods your neighbor did would have cost the same with a 360. 318's are not as plentiful in the bone yards as they used to be. Been quite a while since they stopped making them. Better chance finding a 360. If you break the motor you will need more than a block.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Both engines have their strong points. The fact that he already has a 318 puts him money ahead on that road. As far as replacement parts, 318 production outpaced the 360 by a margin of at least 5 to 1. There are literally tons more 318s out there than 360s. The LA engine is still a better value than the over-hyped Magnum for return on investment, too.

ramenth

Reaction score
I think we're missing the point: drewkins asked about building a 318. Is that a preference for him to build? And if so, why?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Leo that is true about the 360. It is also true about the breaking of an engine. Around where I live there are 318's everywhere and no one wants them. 360's are being used and are desirable because 340's are harder to find. That makes the 360 much more money to start with than the 318. It is also harder to find than a 318. Another thing to think about is not just cubic inches. Two motors with the same cubic inches but different bores and/or strokes to make up the cubic inches, will perform differently. The goal of my neighbor was to have a snappy motor; not a torque monster. As I said earlier; first figure out what you want to do with the car. Then you will know what engine is best.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You can make a 318 go but you really need to change virtually everything anyway , I would start with a stroker kit , far better heads like the LA 308 castings used from 88-92 , the last LA head before the Magnum , or aftermarket heads like RHS or Airwolf , big 360 intake & good exhaust , 340 manifolds are expensive but the Magnum cast flow well but do not look stock or headers . You really need to get a plan for what rpm range you want to run this at & pick a cam & intake & stall converter that all match so everything works well together . You should be able to build a 6000 + rpm 318 displacing close to 400 CI with virtually no giveaways externally making 1 hp / ci or more .

drewkins

Reaction score
The main reason is that its the original engine. also everyone is building 340/360 and i want to do something different. I was at the mopars in the park in mn and i was the only 318 dress downed barracuda. dont get me wrong cuda's are awesome but i dont want to build something everyone else can and has built. I love my 318 and just want more pep out of it and if im gonna have it gone through why not build it a bit.

ramenth

Reaction score
You can make a 318 go but you really need to change virtually everything anyway , I would start with a stroker kit , far better heads like the LA 308 castings used from 88-92 , the last LA head before the Magnum , or aftermarket heads like RHS or Airwolf , big 360 intake & good exhaust , 340 manifolds are expensive but the Magnum cast flow well but do not look stock or headers . You really need to get a plan for what rpm range you want to run this at & pick a cam & intake & stall converter that all match so everything works well together . You should be able to build a 6000 + rpm 318 displacing close to 400 CI with virtually no giveaways externally making 1 hp / ci or more .

This.

Sure you might not make as much horse as say a 408 or 416 stroker, stroking and poking a 318 out to 390, but it's not hard to wake it up going Chryco's route. Of course, it all depends on budget.

Going a milder build you can also up compression to work with a set of mildly ported J heads, a 340 cam, going with your intake and a set of 340 manifolds.

I do want to point out, though, even a four barrel intake will throw your idea of "stock" looking out the window since there were no 318-4bbls in '70.

The skies the limit. What does your budget allow?

74 challenger

Reaction score
how about this I believe with the 318 you have to shave heads to get a 4 barrel intake to work correctly or find an original 4 barrel intake and those are not that easy to find do to low production. You could look for a 273 intake. Todd you are correct on plenty of 318s around.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
late 80s police cars had the 318 4 bbl intakes & swirl heads [better option] , watch the 273 intakes the first 2 or 3 64-66 years used a different angle for the bolts so you either cannot use them or you have to use the 273 heads

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
X or J heads are not the hot ticket you will make more power using 308 swirl heads from 88-92 360 engines

drewkins

Reaction score
I do have an intake for the 318. was hard to find but got one. thanks for all the options that you guys have gave me now its time to plan the build.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Post pics when you put the engine together. I want to see that intake again.

moper

Reaction score
Drewkins - there was a B body there (blue 69 Satellite?) with a 318 that was done as a stocker but has some parts in it. He even used the 2bbl aircleaner and modofied it to fit a 4bbl. As far as parts - if the goal is eventual bigger then keep it simple. If you rebuild it then replace the pistons with KB hypers to get some compression back. Replace the cam with something mild - the Summit brand "small" cam is good and cheap. The Comp XE262 is another good choice. I'd keep the manifolds for now, but have a good dual exhaust system bent up for it, run a good ignition, and you're there. Just an FYI tho - with a 4bbl and 4bbl aircleaner it won't look stock.

Back