• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

"Building My Dream" by 72 Chally

72chally440

Reaction score
Well got the car back and it is now rust free. Went to 4 body shops with it on the trailer. Estimates from $6,500 - $16,500. I'm likin the 6,500. Not only because of the price, but it was the only shop doing primarily restos. Most shops are insurance work first --- restos get the back burner. This guy basically has two operations with two spray booths; one for restos, one for insurance work. Drawback--- need to wait for appointment to get it done. Will keep you updated as I still have to work the trim, dash, rear end annd front end.

72chally440

Reaction score
Small update. I coach HS football so everything has been on hold until we got eliminated from playoffs last week. Now I can get back to my projects. Some honey do's first, then hard into the Chally. I dropped the dash pad off at Just Dashes; it will be ready in January. Dropped the car at Paint & Body near the end of Sept.; it will be done Late Dec or Jan. As planned, it will get the Dupont version of the 1970 B5 blue. I hope to have some pics of the progress soon. I now have most of the suspension parts and 80% of the brake parts needed to complete the suspension and brakes, and parts to refurbish/improve the trans. The Moog strut rod bushings I ordered took over 5 months to come in, something about a back order. Now that most parts are in hand, I can prepare the K member, rear end, and Transmission to put back in the car when it returns. I also have a bunch of trim metal to prep and polish. Heater Box to refurbish, a few more interior parts to paint...I was hoping to get everything done this fall. Maybe next summer the way it is going.

Bill

Reaction score

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Very nice!! It's funny when I talk to some parents who have kids in sports they sometimes wish the kids not to be in the playoffs so they can have their weekends back (lol). (FYI, my two daughters and I have HCM. Just spreading the word. It's easy to answer these 25 questions to see if someone should be concerned. :) https://www.4hcm.org/wp/hcma-resour...iac-arrest-in-the-young-risk-assessment-tool/)

Agreed on that with some parents. Also cannot drop them off fast enough for practices.
My daughter is HS basketball on varsity. Public school but program is run 11 months out of year. Yes it is a comitment. But well worth it if it is THEIR passion.

Fingers crossed on your time line.

Thanks for posting up.

Mike

72chally440

Reaction score
Here are a few more pics. The body is looking straight now. A few more issues to correct, then in a couple weeks it gets paint.
Final Paint Prep 5.jpgFinal Paint Prep 1.jpgFinal Paint Prep 2.jpgFinal Paint Prep 3.jpgFinal Paint Prep 4.jpg

Final Paint Prep 5.jpg

Final Paint Prep 1.jpg

Final Paint Prep 2.jpg

Final Paint Prep 3.jpg

Final Paint Prep 4.jpg

Last edited:

72chally440

Reaction score
Could use a little help here. I started working on steering column to refinish and inspect all the guts. As I was separating the two lower sections (key release & key housings), something shot out over my shoulder. I searched my garage, and the only thing out of place in the area where it went was the pictured small spring. Can anyone tell me where this spring might have come from? I have searched my resources and cannot find a diagram or photo of a spring in the assembly anywhere.

DSCN1393.JPG

72chally440

Reaction score
Spring problem resolved. No thanks to FEBO. Body work is done and I finally saw some color on the car today. Jams trunk and engine compartment seeing blue. Rest gets painted today. Get her back next week.:):)

DSCN1410.JPG

DSCN1411.JPG

DSCN1412.JPG

DSCN1413.JPG

DSCN1414.JPG

moparlee

Reaction score
Looks great and nice color. Now the fun part begins with putting it all back together.

72chally440

Reaction score
GetAttachment.aspx
GetAttachment.aspx
GetAttachment.aspx

It is such a feeling of accomplishment to finally be putting things back together. Here is my first Bolt on since the car returned from Paint & Body. I dumped the original 2.76 gears and open diff from my 489 case for a clutch type posi with 3.55 gears. Sourced bearings, crush sleeve eliminator, axle bearings, and a new 7290 pinion yoke (the kind with U bolts instead of straps) from Dr. Diff. The Leaf Springs are ESPO +1" . I'm liking the stance already. I'm sorry for picture quality, I dropped an axle on my usual camera when I started to rehab the rear end.

Last edited:
Back