• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Car will not Fire up

djlackore

Reaction score
Okay guys, I have hit a wall and really need some expert opinions.

Car:

1973 Challenger with a 440 stock. Almost all new wiring from year one.

I have had electrical issues with starting and running then the car stalling at idle. I went from a dual resistor to a single resistor and that problem was solved.

Then had issues with the car not firing sometimes, put in an all new dash and engine harness as well as a new ECU, Coil, starter relay, Voltage Regulator and Ballast Resistor. Everything was working fine for a month or so.

Now, I started my car and was backing up and stopped to shift gears and then shut the garage. The car died and will not start up. It has been about 3 days since that happened and i have tried a couple things with no luck. I changed the neutral safety switch, not the harness yet though.

The coil has a spark when turning the key to start but only for a second then it goes away.

I am stuck and not sure what to do here..... Thanks in advance!

DetMatt1

Reaction score
If you replaced all those parts it's likely that one of them has failed on you. I've read several accounts of inferior quality of reproduction ignition system parts.

quapman

Reaction score
I've had a similar issue with my T/A since I brought it home a year ago. VERY long story short, it was a bad connection at the blue wire feeding the ballast resistor. The wire itself was not making good contact with the brass connector. My engine harness is an Evans repro and is several years old.

I'm not saying yours has the same problem, but it's possible.

How's the ground at your ECU (orange box)? That metal case needs to have a good ground in order to function. I sometimes run one right from the back of the engine block somewhere.

If your starter is cranking, it's not the NSS.

One more thing...if you have spark at the "start" position with the key, but not at "run", it's either the ignition switch or something in that blue wire circuit. The "start" circuit bypasses the blue to give full power while cranking.

djlackore

Reaction score
I did notice that the blue ignition 1 wire at the ignition switch connector has burned the connector pin.

The Ecu box is mounted on a bracket to the firewall. I made sure bare metal was touching with no paint.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I did notice that the blue ignition 1 wire at the ignition switch connector has burned the connector pin.

That's where I would go next then.

The Ecu box is mounted on a bracket to the firewall. I made sure bare metal was touching with no paint.

djlackore

Reaction score

What should i do? bypass the connector and put the two wires together?

djlackore

Reaction score
Well fixing the blue ignition wire did not solve my problem.

Any ideas guys. I am so stuck here.

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
moparleo Even thou I don't have issues right now and this is not my post... This is great info.. you sure do have a lot of information and thank you for the links.

djlackore

Reaction score
I agree with the info. I have all this info and cant seem to figure it out haha.

if i have a bad connection at my headlight switch will this cause a break in the batt circuit?

djlackore

Reaction score
Well guys i figured it out.. so dumb!

My choke somehow was all the way shut starving the engine of air. Not sure how that happened as its wired to be full open. Oh well.

Thanks for all the help.

moparlee

Reaction score
Glad you found the problem. Better that than some troublesome wiring issue. And BTW, get that wire off and get your choke working like it should.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
And you may have avoided a future issue by finding and fixing that ignition wire.

Back