• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Challenger exhaust tips

erickson

Reaction score
how far should a challenger exhaust tip be sticking out? The photo shows where they would be without cutting the tailpipe

image.jpg

70chall440

Reaction score
As far as I can tell there was not a factory spec, there was a big thread on this subject on another forum and the general consensus was that they should be 1 - 1.5" out. If they are flush the valance gets sooted up pretty quickly and if more than 1.5" out they look like crap.

Reaction score
mine stick out less than half an inch, well known long time mopar shop in Denver Mopower masters just did my exhaust about a month ago and that is where they set the tips at. Tony has been around forever and is one of the most knowledgeable mopar guys around. your personal preference is all that really matters. if they look right and good to you. I have some photos of my car here under welcome wagon if you want to take a peek just search Golden.

volunteer

Reaction score
Apparently few (if any) of you ever had a brand new E-body Challenger. All of mine had at least two full inches as indicated on top surface - looking sideways. The gap between this surface and the upper valance is minimal - like your pinky finger tip a tight fit. From a side view, only chrome should be visible but not enough sticking out looks really bad.

70chall440

Reaction score
I never had a brand new E body but I did have a few relatively new ones 5 -8 yrs old that still had the original exhaust and from what I "remember" the tips did stick out relatively far BUT IMO they look odd that far out which is why I said what I did. On my 70 Challenger RT I have them about 1.5" out, I had them closer for a little while and it would get really dirty very quickly.

budascuda

Reaction score
Relative to the bumper guard, definitely more than an inch!
Thanks 340,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211127-092449.png
    Screenshot_20211127-092449.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 162

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Here's a different approach.Got the car of original owner.3 years old I remember he said he had the mufflers and resonators burned out. The tips stuck about an inch not much more.

Attachments

• 20211127_150130.jpg
    20211127_150130.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 20211127_150210.jpg
    20211127_150210.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 20211127_150304.jpg
    20211127_150304.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 20211127_150351.jpg
    20211127_150351.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 166

70chall440

Reaction score
This has been debated on every E body site and the consensus usually comes out that there wasn't a factory spec and that throughout the build period they varied greatly. Again, IMO more than 1.5 looks bad, but again thats my opinion, your car do what you want.

This is what happens when so many people obsess over stock crap and make others think that everything has to be a very specific way when in fact these cars were literally slammed together by people working on an assembly line that gave 2 craps about them as they were just cars. Likewise, QA was spotty at best and so long as it started, drove under its own power, stopped and the lights came on it was "good to go".

If you get enough experience on these cars (70's muscle cars) especially dismantling and rebuilding them you will see just how badly they were built. There are runs in the paint, orange peel galore, missing or bad spot welds, bubblegum welds, bad gaps, etc.. It cracks me up when people want to try and recreate the horrible build quality these cars actually had and then criticize someone else for actually improving them.

volunteer

Reaction score
This has been debated on every E body site and the consensus usually comes out that there wasn't a factory spec and that throughout the build period they varied greatly. Again, IMO more than 1.5 looks bad, but again thats my opinion, your car do what you want.

This is what happens when so many people obsess over stock crap and make others think that everything has to be a very specific way when in fact these cars were literally slammed together by people working on an assembly line that gave 2 craps about them as they were just cars. Likewise, QA was spotty at best and so long as it started, drove under its own power, stopped and the lights came on it was "good to go".

If you get enough experience on these cars (70's muscle cars) especially dismantling and rebuilding them you will see just how badly they were built. There are runs in the paint, orange peel galore, missing or bad spot welds, bubblegum welds, bad gaps, etc.. It cracks me up when people want to try and recreate the horrible build quality these cars actually had and then criticize someone else for actually improving them.
Well said.

budascuda

Reaction score

Mike, buddy, i like the cut of your jib !
No thread is complete without a comment from you......
😍

Last edited:

ph23vo

Reaction score
THIS FAR...I LOOKED AT MANY ORIGINAL FACTORY PHOTOS TO GET TO THIS..GOOD LUCK

Attachments

• chal1.JPG
    chal1.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 196

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The question being asked here.
"how far should a challenger exhaust tip be sticking out?" The answer will not be found here. The answer is at the blue oval and blue bow tie site. They have seen the exhaust tips more than anyone else.and others That's where the answer rests!

volunteer

Reaction score
On same subject (sort of) - I am seeking OEM type (E-body Challenger) replacement tips with 2.25'' inlets. Stainless and fair price. Sources or links? Thank-you and stay safe.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Try Roseville Moparts (and get a discount)

1642546108864.png

Back