• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cowl Stamped Numbers Question - Straight line?

440WB

Reaction score
Question - Cowl Stamped Numbers - are they supposed to be in a Straight line?
looking at the numbers the 2nd digit from the last is below the others almost 1/8" -
at least a 1/16" ( it is noticeable )

fonts with placement and size looks correct -

sorry I did not get a picture of it - ( car is too far away to go back and get a picture - 2 3/4 hour drive each way )

440WB

Reaction score
makes me wonder -

didn't they have a fixture to clamp and press with the numbers inset for a perfect stamp?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I have to say that this is more common than not. from what I have seen.

tgdum.jpg

bf_3.jpg

10_12_sb.jpg

Last edited:

440WB

Reaction score
So maybe the number insert in the block has moved inside ?

440WB

Reaction score
From what I have seen in the industrial shops with die’s - molds Numbers / letters are usually fixed inside a fixture

pschlosser

Reaction score
From the tire-kicking stories at car shows: Yes, most (if not all) sheet metal numeric stamps (even those with changing numbers) were gang stamped using various types of jigs.

But on occasion, when a given assembly line tool or die is in disrepair, they had to keep the assembly line moving, so they made due with the broken one for the rest of the shift until it could be repaired or replaced.

Therefor, on occasion, some legit factory stamps may show misalignment along the baseline.

But not ****-eyed or (slightly) rotated numbers. Those containing digits not straight up and down with the others? Those were not done at the factory. Possibly the dealer, but from what I understand, not the factory.

440WB

Reaction score
'But on occasion, when a given assembly line tool or die is in disrepair, they had to keep the assembly line moving, so they made due with the broken one for the rest of the shift until it could be repaired or replaced.' Quote

in the later 70's I had worked in a tool and die shop - we had punch press machines in operation to stamp production parts for the big 3 - I agree with the above how you say - sometimes the operator would just keep going even when they knew it was wrong -

sometimes they would have to wait on us to make the repair to get by -
until we could remake a new piece

Back