• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

'Cuda seat spacing questions

tklockwood

Reaction score
Perhaps poor planning on my part but what can I say. I am working out the mounting of some non original seats into my 'Cuda. The problem is that the entire interior is out of the car so there are no good reference points. What I would like to know is what the two ends of the stock seat tracks are. Basically a measure from the front of the door opening to the front of the seat with the seat all the way forward and then all the way back. That would make a good reference for me to place my seats front to rear in the car. Also, if possible, I could really use the height of the seat, particularly in the front.

I hope my descriptions make sense. If not, please ask for clarification and I will try to be more clear.

Thanks.

Adam

Reaction score
The floor is uneven, side to side and front to back. You will need spacers to make the aftermarket seat tracks fit. There are reinforcements under the floor pan, by the rockers, where the seats bolt up. They are between the cross member and floor jack in the top photo. But even with that I would set the seats in the car, tracks in the middle of adjustment, and see if you like it.

seat support.jpg

florr.jpg

Last edited:

tklockwood

Reaction score
I am actually looking for some measurements. You can't tell if you like it if none of the stuff around you is there. If I had measurements then at least I would know where the factory seats are with respect to the door opening which is about the only reference point I have right now. But I do appreciate your response. Thanks.

rklein71

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the thread, but what seats are you using. I want to upgrade my seats in my 71 Barracuda and am not sure which seats fit well. Rod

tklockwood

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the thread, but what seats are you using. I want to upgrade my seats in my 71 Barracuda and am not sure which seats fit well. Rod

I will trade you the seat type for the measurements I need. ;-)

The seats I chose are "enthusiast" seats from a late 80s Daytona Shelby Z. I believe this style of seat started in the 1986 Laser and Daytona. I had an 86 Laser XT turbo that had them. The driver side seat has a small button panel on the right side bolster that controls electric bolster adjustment for both the bottom and back bolsters. The same panel also has push buttons to inflate lumbar and lower seat air adjustments.

I really like the bolster adjustment because when you are driving casually you can have them adjusted out. For more spirited driving you can adjust the bolsters in and make the seat grip you better. I was looking at some aftermarket seats but a lot of them have quite wide backs and may actually interfere with the sculpted door panels. Maybe not though. I don't like the boy racer style as well as these factory seats.

I found a guy parting out an 87 Daytona Shelby Z and picked the seats up pretty cheap. They are grey cloth though so I will need to have them reupholstered before I am done. I should also mention that while I was cleaning up the bottom of the floor I actually cut out the raised area of the floor on each side where the seat mounts. I then welded new material in somewhat lower to allow more room for seats. I knew I wanted a power seat setup so I made some room for it. And my Daytona seat came with a power track so hopefully there is room for it.

gdrill

Reaction score
These pics are from 2 different Challengers due to one not having doors on and the other not having a console in. The door to seat pic is from the plastic edge directly below the handle and the inner is self explanatory. Sitting in the cars, both driver seats are offset to the steering wheel by 1/2" outward towards the door. Now of course these are worn seats, hence why I mention the offset to the wheel. And I'll mention, the original consoles were not perfectly centered as well. I found this out by taking careful measurements for installing brackets and then finding them set to one side or the other in various cars. Factory tolerances! Mine is perfectly centered.

IMG_4343[1].JPG

IMG_4344[1].JPG

gdrill

Reaction score
These are taken with the tape sitting at the joint of the floorpan to the firewall.

IMG_4346[1].JPG

IMG_4345[1].JPG

All the way back
IMG_4347[1].JPG

All the way forward
IMG_4348[1].JPG

rklein71

Reaction score
I will trade you the seat type for the measurements I need. ;-)

The seats I chose are "enthusiast" seats from a late 80s Daytona Shelby Z. I believe this style of seat started in the 1986 Laser and Daytona. I had an 86 Laser XT turbo that had them. The driver side seat has a small button panel on the right side bolster that controls electric bolster adjustment for both the bottom and back bolsters. The same panel also has push buttons to inflate lumbar and lower seat air adjustments.

I really like the bolster adjustment because when you are driving casually you can have them adjusted out. For more spirited driving you can adjust the bolsters in and make the seat grip you better. I was looking at some aftermarket seats but a lot of them have quite wide backs and may actually interfere with the sculpted door panels. Maybe not though. I don't like the boy racer style as well as these factory seats.

I found a guy parting out an 87 Daytona Shelby Z and picked the seats up pretty cheap. They are grey cloth though so I will need to have them reupholstered before I am done. I should also mention that while I was cleaning up the bottom of the floor I actually cut out the raised area of the floor on each side where the seat mounts. I then welded new material in somewhat lower to allow more room for seats. I knew I wanted a power seat setup so I made some room for it. And my Daytona seat came with a power track so hopefully there is room for it.

Thanks for the info. I really don't like 71 seat upholstery, ugly in my opinion.
Rod

Back