• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dash questions

Avalanche

Reaction score
I am restoring my 1970 non-rallye dash and have a few questions
How does the glove box lock come out?
Was the metal part of the exposed dash and glove box painted gloss or satin?

What is also weird is that the dash is non ribbed and the face of the gauges has a aluminum wood grain face. Is this not a 70 part, or were the 70 SE cars wood grain on the dash bezel.

Thanks

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You have to have the key to take the glove box lock out. You lock the lock with the door open and it will give you access to a pin you can push down with a small screw driver to release it. I don't have a pic. Chryco or Burdur may have a pic. A wood grain dash was an option on any car except the R/T with the rallye dash cluster. The metal is somewhat a satin. If you have the ability to spray your own paint, I can dig out the PPG code for you. There are other paint colors that are close.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I was told that that the non ralley wood bezel applicay was a Barracuda Gran coupe thing only but it would make sense that it was an option in the SE Challengets as well.

IMG_3906.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3910.jpg

Avalanche

Reaction score
Thanks guys, that helps a lot, my dash looks exactly tlike the the one pictured above.
As far as painting the dash, since there is so little that is exposed I would like to paint it myself with a spray can. Is there a certain brand that would look close to the factory color black.

Final question, on my wiper switch I am missing the knob, but when I turn the metal pin it clicks on then just turns until it stops. Should the knob click between the different' speeds (either 2 or 3)?

burdar

Reaction score
I don't have any spray equipement either and chose to use spray cans to paint my dash frame. The interior in my car was in great condition. The dash frame and steering column didn't have much of a texture to them like some other cars I've seen. I found that SEM Trim Black was a very good match to the original color. If you spray the final coat a little dry(from farther away) you will end up with a very slight texture. Good luck!

Vanishing point

Reaction score
You have to have the key to take the glove box lock out. You lock the lock with the door open and it will give you access to a pin you can push down with a small screw driver to release it. I don't have a pic. Chryco or Burdur may have a pic.

Hey challenger6pak, having same trouble :eusa_wall:can't get the lock/latch apart on my 74 for paint. Is it the trunk key? the ign key won't fit. Did not own this car before tear down....Anyone out there have a pic of this pin that gets pushed down?

Vanishing point

Reaction score
Figured it out after an hour, the pin to push down is more of small plate, wow what a design, Thanks for the tip:icon_winkle:

Back