• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

disc brake conversion

booyaballer

Reaction score
i've updated the suspension on my 70 challenger to the Hotchkis TVS. before i button it up, i'm thinking might as well upgrade my manual front drums and convert to disc brakes now. I'm looking at Wilwood, PST, or SSBC but don't really know the pro's and cons to each. my hang up is that i have 14" wheels which i will eventually change to maybe 18's. because of the 14s, i know i can only get 11" rotors. will the 11" rotors work fine with bigger wheels? any drawbacks to staying with the 11" rotors if i do get 16", 17" or 18" wheels? should i add brake booster?

thanks in advanced.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Where to start , I am a fan of keep it simple -
You could go to the 11" stock system very economically & fit the wheels you have .
Later or for a simlar entey price you can swap rotors to the 11.75 cordoba rotors & use a different caliper mount but use the same calipers , you should be able to find a set of the stock FMJ disc spindles too .
The next option would be Scarebird using the drum spindle you have & common parts to upgrade.
While both of these seem to be the cheap route I have generally had better results this way .
A friend added front & rear discs [wilwood] & now has to move 20 pistons to stop the car , big improvement correct ? No , it now stops worse than with 4 wheel drums .
Saving $$ on the brake upgrade you could likely afford some bigger wheels & tires , Win / Win !
I like the feel of manual disc brakes , using a properly sized master you will have great stopping power & feel without a booster .
Vacuum boosters work OK If you have decent engine vacuum , I prefer hydroboost connected into the power steering system , this is not at all dependent on Engine vacuum . Again you can source a hydro boost from a wrecker easily , build orr use a mount adapter & make a pair of pressure lines & you have power !

PST

Reaction score
If you would like to discuss our offerings please feel free to contact me and I can walk you through them. We have wilwood kits as well as a kit from Leeds brakes that comes with 4 piston calipers that clear 14" wheels. This kit is available in both manual or power depending on your taste. Also as a member of the forum you are eligible for 10% off orders of $200 or more and free shipping within the 48 States.

Thanks
James From
PST Marketing

Steinman

Reaction score
IF you go with Wilwood plan on going with a Hydro Boost. I fought it and finally gave in. Now I have excellent brakes. Forget about vacuum with Wilwood

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
That makes sense , but why spend the $$ on Wilwood when you can do it far cheaper with better results too

Back