• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Early 72 cuda woodgrain bezel...need help please..

Jimmeez Cuda

Reaction score
Good day to everyone..

Still new here but this is what I'm into this winter amongst other things..

I'd like to replace the woodgrain bezels..

I can't find this unique set up anywhere except Performance Graphics..temporarily closed.

From what I've read..

70-71 Tach went to 8K
72-74 went to 7K
70-71 Speedo/clock reset came through bezel
72-74 came through lens
72-74 right side bezel had opening for a warning light...seat belt?

For some reason..mine..

tach to 8K but speedo reset through lens and no opening for warning light.

Is this an odd early build?
I'd like to add a Rally clock..just don't like the look of the blank radio delete opening..wiring?

Anyone know of anywhere I could get a replacement bezel..not decal.
Year One and Classic don;t show this style.

Another question..
The blue lights for light option and others..seems like just a bulb boot yes?

Last one for now..

did all 72's come with electric windshield washer?
Mine has been removed I think..
No motor, no bottle, no squirters.
Wiring harness seems to show the brown wire for it and dash switch says "Washer"
I'd like to add if I could.
Maybe someone has a good photo or diagram of the hose routing, correct motor and mounting location, and the squirter mounting and location..It seems as though these go under the hood and protrude through hood louver.

Thanks so much!
Any help would be great.

Much more coming I should think..the wiring is really a disaster.

Best
Jimmy K

Jimmeez Cuda

Reaction score
ooopppsss...here's pics
IMG_0114.jpg
IMG_0115.jpg
IMG_0118.jpg
IMG_0119.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The 72 woodgrain should not have the seat belt warning light & should be easy to get .
Check with Roseville Moparts , you can get a discount through them .
M&H wiring is the best replacement for replacing your harnesses , they are available through Year One only although Roseville may stock them also .
Someone probably replaced the tach with an earlier year 8k tach at some point in the past .
Not sure where to source the clock , some of the instrument repair companies may have extra .
the washer bottle should sit in the opposite front corner across from the battery the metal tubes attach to the hood & there is a plastic Tee that connects to the hood to split the flow to both tubes , Again Roseville should have the parts .

NoCar340

Reaction score
The cutout on the RH side was indeed for the seat belt light.

All Rallye dashes came with a clock. It was neither optional nor deletable. I've never seen a Rallye bezel without "WASHER" marked on the switch, so it's safe to assume your parts were removed. If your washer switch has a momentary push function, the car had electric washers. I've never seen any E-body switch without that push function.

The early '72 Rallye dash used the 8K tachometer. Sometime during the model year they switched to the 7K tach used through the end of production. There's nothing rare, odd or special about it. The parts manual shows no part number change throughout production (2984185), but I've never seen a '73-'74 with an 8K tach, and my '72 cluster didn't have it. A friend's does.

Other things that changed during the year--not necessarily at the same time--were the bucket seats, sunvisors, and rearview mirror. Early seats had a hard plastic back panel while the late ones were full vinyl. This was done to increase leg room from nonexistent to nonexistent +.030". 😄 Early sunvisors have a peg or pin that clips into the rearview mirror's base; the later visors have no such pins. As such, the mirror base has no provisions for them. The seat-belt light might be a mid-year change as well; my Rallye cluster came from a '72 and has the cutout (and a 7K tach) but I've seen cars without it. Also, late in the model year the 340 engine went from a steel crank to an iron one with external balance.

Since these were rolling changes, there's no rule saying "Your car has the 8K tach, so it uses pinned visors and the hard-backed seats." It's Chrysler; they made changes as parts ran out or new ones arrived. They very likely ran out of black pinned visors before the green ones, etc.

Jimmeez Cuda

Reaction score
Awesome information...Thanks so much for taking a minute to reply..

Here's the rub..

The wood grain bezels aren't that hard to find except...

If you look..most 72-74 have side cut out...
The ones that don't...they have holes for reset cables in the bezel...
Mine is odd that reset holes are in lens AND no side cut out.
I saw one on Performance graphics but they're closed.

Im tracing wires and found a lot of stuff removed..
Theres a 6 pin connector under dash..
The neutral safety comes up to it..
I think it lit the reverse light as well.
Someone cut this and ran toggle switched to the console.

Does anyone know where to find replacement harnesses for these functions?

Or maybe a wiring diagram of these?

So many questions...sigh

Thanks

NoCar340

Reaction score
When it comes to wiring, don't look at the car. Look at a factory service manual and find out what's wrong with the car. They were all built the same way... but they were all modified differently.

The electric fuel pump, line lock, stereo, aftermarket gauge illumination, etc. in my Valiant all plug into a suitable factory harness somewhere in the car, and all use OE terminals and connectors. I cut exactly one wire in the car: the green one at the voltage regulator, to convert to the '70-up electronic unit. Someday, someone's take that thing apart and wonder why they can't find replacements for all the factory-looking jumper harnesses and extensions.

Back