• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

First Mopar - 70 cuda convert.

hofilbert

Reaction score
I'm 59 now and still playing with toys. I run a H.O. slot car restoration mail order site selling bumpers, glass, misc. parts and also complete slot cars. It's just my wife and I packing and shipping stuff.
I rec'd this just last week sort of as my B-day gift...to myself. :)
arrived2.jpg

New to the Chrysler game. I'm sort of a Camaro guy originally, but I had several and grew tired of them. Then, I did a couple of '65 Mustang Fastbacks and those were fun too, but again, I grew tired of them. I love all cars, but I always wanted a '70 Cuda convertible and this will probably be my last "fun car" so I recently acquired a long time California car that had no rust and never wrecked with all VINs unmolested and matching. It is a Tor-red 318 BH car originally, but the longtime owner of 20+ years wanted a hemi in his car so it has a '69 solid lifter dual quad hemi, with a 727 auto w/Hughes, and 3.23 sure-grip. It is nicely optioned with pwr top, pwr steering, pwr disc brakes, console, ralleye gauges, rimblow, real mopar rubber bumpers, go-wing, and shaker. It is more than I was looking for but they are getting so hard to find and this car was in such nice condition compared to everything else I was finding that I had it brought here to WA. I usually keep my cars 4-8 years, so we'll see how this car stacks up to the rest.
Havin' fun! Phil
More pics....
1stday1.jpg

1stdayR.jpg

Last edited:

hofilbert

Reaction score
I am a fan of Magnum 500 wheels and the seller had the "bottle cap" ralleye wheels on the car, so I asked if he wanted to keep them and he did, which was fine with me. First thing I did, was send him new Magnum 500 wheels before he even shipped the car. I also have "Quapman's Auto Grip" shifter to put on once I'm comfortable everything is working well on the car. That is a cool upgrade.

Reaction score
I'm 59 now and still playing with toys. I run a H.O. slot car restoration mail order site selling bumpers, glass, misc. parts and also complete slot cars. It's just my wife and I packing and shipping stuff.
I rec'd this just last week sort of as my B-day gift...to myself. :)
arrived2.jpg

New to the Chrysler game. I'm sort of a Camaro guy originally, but I had several and grew tired of them. Then, I did a couple of '65 Mustang Fastbacks and those were fun too, but again, I grew tired of them. I love all cars, but I always wanted a '70 Cuda convertible and this will probably be my last "fun car" so I recently acquired a long time California car that had no rust and never wrecked with all VINs unmolested and matching. It is a Tor-red 318 BH car originally, but the longtime owner of 20+ years wanted a hemi in his car so it has a '69 solid lifter dual quad hemi, with a 727 auto w/Hughes, and 3.23 sure-grip. It is nicely optioned with pwr top, pwr steering, pwr disc brakes, console, ralleye gauges, rimblow, real mopar rubber bumpers, go-wing, and shaker. It is more than I was looking for but they are getting so hard to find and this car was in such nice condition compared to everything else I was finding that I had it brought here to WA. I usually keep my cars 4-8 years, so we'll so how this car stacks up to the rest.
Havin' fun! Phil
More pics....
1stday1.jpg

1stdayR.jpg
If that wasnt a convertable, I'd be truly salivating... I just like the look of a hard top...

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
Beautiful car and you have chosen a fantastic Cuda for your first Mopar and once your drive a Mopar its hard to go back to anything else

as others have said.. Welcome to the Madness

RzeroB

Reaction score
You certainly applied the "go big or go home" principal for your first Mopar! The H.O. slot car business must be booming! With the advent of modern video games I thought that the slot car biz went the way of carburetors!

That car looks familiar but I can't put my finger on where I saw it for sale. Did the ad have the car sitting in the entrance way to what looked like a gated community with a black wrought-iron gate behind it?

hofilbert

Reaction score
Well, I've been doing slot cars as a business for nearly 25 years now. I cater to mostly old folks like myself, but it has just a great bunch of guys as customers. You couldn't ask for a better bunch. I've never had a bad check in all that time.

As far as go big or go home, I just sold my black/red 65 Mustang Fastback this summer. No kidding, if you google "Best Looking Mustang Ever" in the images section, my Mustang FB had 82,000+ hits and is always #1 or #2. I didn't have the car for sale, but a guy in Miami really wanted it. Selling that gave me a very healthy down payment for my next toy. Tom, yes, that was the car. The seller is a slot car collector too, so we actually made part of our deal with a sizeable slot car trade. Slot cars have been very, very good to me. :)

RzeroB

Reaction score
Yes, that was the car. The seller is a slot car collector too, so we actually made part of our deal with a sizeable slot car trade. Slot cars have been very, very good to me. :)

Oh that car looked sweet in the ad! It's a beauty for sure!

Slot cars are alive and kickin' eh? How do I find out more? Got a web site for your business?

DJ1967Dart

Reaction score
Stunning Mopar...are those the Cragar one piece magnum 500's? How big did you go with the rear tires? I'm planning to purchase new wheels and tires for my 70 and I'm trying to find out how big I can go on the rear wheels with a 15 inch rim. I believe the largest without any mods is 275/60/15 for the rear and a 245/60/15 for the front. I should probably start a thread. Congrats on the new ride it's just stunning. Any pics with the top down?

hofilbert

Reaction score
Stunning Mopar...are those the Cragar one piece magnum 500's? How big did you go with the rear tires?.... I believe the largest without any mods is 275/60/15 for the rear and a 245/60/15 for the front. I should probably start a thread. Congrats on the new ride it's just stunning. Any pics with the top down?
THANX for the compliments! I went to Summit and just bought std. "Wheel Vintiques" I think was the name for stock Chrysler Magnum 500s. The front tires are 235s and the rears 255s and were already on the car. The wheels that were on the car originally were 15"x7" Ralleyes, so I just replaced with same size 15x7 Magnums. The Magnums were actually fairly inexpensive totalling around $850 for wheels, caps, stems, nuts, and shipping.

Finoke

Reaction score
You picked a good one for your first mopar. Beautiful car!

I'm also a fan of the magnums, or road wheels as mopar called them.

I've had 5 e body convertibles over the years. Best muscle car out there in my opinion !

hofilbert

Reaction score
We had some nice weather on Friday so I took the car out for some gas and went on a photo trip. The sun this time of year is limited so you need to take advantage of it when you can. Here are a couple nicer shots. I did manage to get Mt. Rainier in the background of one shot. Havin' fun!
dicksR-low2.jpg
rainier-nice.jpg
dicksR-int.jpg
sideshot.jpg

gf7cuda

Reaction score
welcome, reminds me of my own years ago. Enjoy your ragtop!!!!

440rush

Reaction score
Nice ride you have there. I'd like to check out your slot car site. Can you post it on the site or PM me. I'm interested in getting an AFX track too.

Back