• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Five-Speed Options for 1970 Challenger 340

vice guy

Reaction score
Greetings: I'm looking to replace my manual A-855 4-speed transmission with a five-speed for OD capability. My car is a 1970 Challenger. It has a stock 340 and a 3.23 rear. I'd like to go with the Keisler RS400 if possible or something similar. I've been trying to contact Keisler Engineering for the past ten days, but no return call or e-mail response. Someone mentioned that they might be going through a bankruptcy issue / reorganizing, but not too sure. Without modifying my tunnel, could someone let me know my options or let me know who might be selling the RS400 five-speeds? Thank you

ramenth

Reaction score
You could call Jaime Passon and see how long the waiting list is for his 855...

You could start hunting down a T5 and hope it holds up...

You could start hunting down an R154 and start mock up and cutting and fitting...

But whatever you do, put Keisler out of your mind and forget about it.

Adam

Reaction score
The Tremec TKO transmissions are used in both Ford and Gm applications. You can get a bellhousing to fit Mopar from a couple of different places. The crossmember is not a big deal; neither is the flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate (I believe they are 10.5 inch, same as Chevy). I went with a hydraulic throw-out bearing to get rid of the linkage, easy but had to lengthen the pedal rod. The shifter location varies, or is possibly changeable, on the TKO so you should be able to find one that will work with a factory console. My TKO-600will accept either a cable or electric speedo. I will post some pics and measurements in the next few days. Lastly, just a quick search turned up a website called 5speedtransmissions com. I have not dealt with them but it is an example of what is out there.

Adam

Reaction score
Tremec.com has alot of good info on their site. Look under the Products tab and Components tab all the way to the right...

vice guy

Reaction score
Ramenth & Adam, Thanks for help / information. It's greatly appreciated.

Bill

rbbruno3

Reaction score
PM Dodges 330 on this site , he was selling a Tremec 5spd for $1800 out of a 70 Cuda

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
American powertrain / Tony can help you with anything Keisler offered , Keisler is history / done / no restructuring .
Personally the Passon 855is the best option , direct fit & best quality .

Back